Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: Detectorists Petition
Jan 23, 2018, 12:35
nigelswift wrote:
Mackenzie Crook is clearly a writing superstar. Maybe he could get some more mileage out of the same characters taking up fishing or bird watching.

Or megalithomania. ;)

Nah - got to be dowsing :-)
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Jan 23, 2018, 13:32
Sanctuary wrote:
nigelswift wrote:
Mackenzie Crook is clearly a writing superstar. Maybe he could get some more mileage out of the same characters taking up fishing or bird watching.

Or megalithomania. ;)

Nah - got to be dowsing :-)

Watched a reasonably good film the other day called The Water Diviner. "A 2014 American-Australian historical fictional war drama film directed by and starring Russell Crowe in his directorial debut. The screenplay was written by Andrew Anastasios and Andrew Knight. The film is loosely based on the book of the same name, written by Andrew Anastasios and Dr Meaghan Wilson-Anastasios." (Wiki).
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Jan 23, 2018, 15:59
nigelswift wrote:

Or megalithomania. ;)

He is also a talented actor who almost certainly will have other work projects lined up. I do agree the excitable world of megalithomania is ripe for comedic pickings.
thelonious
330 posts

Jan 23, 2018, 19:18
tjj wrote:
nigelswift wrote:

Or megalithomania. ;)

He is also a talented actor who almost certainly will have other work projects lined up. I do agree the excitable world of megalithomania is ripe for comedic pickings.

He's in Britannia on Sky at the moment playing a druid. It's ok, bit silly but watchable. It's got stone circles in it as well.

https://theconversation.com/britannia-druids-and-the-surprisingly-modern-origins-of-myths-89979
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jan 26, 2018, 15:32
Oh no! A friend has just discovered Detectorists and said I'd like it "as the characters are very like you lot who go to stone circles".....
carol27
747 posts

Feb 02, 2018, 16:47
nigelswift wrote:
Oh no! A friend has just discovered Detectorists and said I'd like it "as the characters are very like you lot who go to stone circles".....

Id see that as a compliment.. leastways id tell " friend" that..:)
nigelswift
8112 posts

Feb 02, 2018, 16:57
carol27 wrote:

Id see that as a compliment..

Hardly. I don't have hundreds of bits of archaeology in a cupboard at home or sell any on EBay!
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Edited Feb 03, 2018, 01:18
Feb 03, 2018, 01:16
nigelswift wrote:
carol27 wrote:

Id see that as a compliment..

Hardly. I don't have hundreds of bits of archaeology in a cupboard at home or sell any on EBay!

Nor do I. But I do have hundreds of bit's of wire, fencing staples, bent nails, two horseshoes, cartridge heads, bits of tin and silver paper, bolts, a broken pair of plyers, screwdriver shaft and 100's of other bits of tat- but sadly no ring pulls or toy cars! This very day I found my first coin in months - a 1964 threepenny piece. Pure joy!

This is the type of junk 99% of ordinary honest detectorists find when they go out for the day Nigel, not the -1% of night hawks you keep referring to that sweep scheduled sites illegally. We all think they are scum as well - but try to keep a sensible head on and not over-exaggerate!

Nuff said.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Edited Feb 03, 2018, 06:21
Feb 03, 2018, 06:01
Well, nighthawks are a minor problem compared with "legal" non reporting. Dr Sam Hardy estimates there are 24K legal detectorists finding (per PAS, CBA, EH, archaeologists and a detecting forum survey) circa 30 recordable artefacts per year, which is 720,000 per year whereas so far, in 20 years (per PAS), they've only shown PAS 1.3 million.

Feel free to say that's somehow wrong or exaggerated or unjust, but as Prof David Gill has said: "We have to ask by how much it would have to be "wrong" to make the figures acceptable." My answer to that is "goodness knows" and so should everyone's be.

Anyway, the only reason I got drawn into this was to point out that all the good people who use TMA who take nothing, are in no way comparable. They aren't, and I think that should be made crystal clear.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Feb 03, 2018, 09:13
nigelswift wrote:
Well, nighthawks are a minor problem compared with "legal" non reporting. Dr Sam Hardy estimates there are 24K legal detectorists finding (per PAS, CBA, EH, archaeologists and a detecting forum survey) circa 30 recordable artefacts per year, which is 720,000 per year whereas so far, in 20 years (per PAS), they've only shown PAS 1.3 million.

Feel free to say that's somehow wrong or exaggerated or unjust, but as Prof David Gill has said: "We have to ask by how much it would have to be "wrong" to make the figures acceptable." My answer to that is "goodness knows" and so should everyone's be.

Anyway, the only reason I got drawn into this was to point out that all the good people who use TMA who take nothing, are in no way comparable. They aren't, and I think that should be made crystal clear.

Yes Nigel -'Estimates', nothing more, and has to be grossly exaggerated because how many of those 24,000 legal detectorists were actually observed sneaking off with the goodies? A totally unrealistic figure that cannot possibly be supported! Serious concern is one thing, but please keep it realistic.
Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index