Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: Detectorists
Dec 13, 2017, 13:48
moss wrote:
Well it is coming to an end, so a rather lovely article by Fiona Sturges in the Guardian..

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2017/dec/09/detectorists-rich-portrait-unremarkable-lives-gone-slightly-awry-mackenzie-crook

Thought the magpies did not too bad in the acting scenes so the Unthank - Magpies, to end the series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=6&v=w6EIFD80f90

It won't be the same again will it - those 30 minutes of enjoyment once a week. It was never enough for me though, should have been an hour!

As a MD user myself, aside from Lance's magical find at the end of series two, it's been very much my experience of finding bits of fencing wire and staples, ring pulls, the odd horseshoe and tractor parts. I've not found a single coin yet let alone a hoard, but did find some when I last used a MD when I was in my early 20's :-).
I've recently teamed up with a pal who detects with a MD and wait for it - dowsing rods!! The rods come out if the landowner is looking for drainage pipes and the likes and I've been impressed by his finds, but that's another story.
And that has made me wonder if the success of Detectorists could be replicated by another station doing the same type of thing but with dowsing as the main theme? Could it work? I think it could as there are a lot of similarities.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Dec 13, 2017, 22:48
Dec 13, 2017, 22:46
moss wrote:
Well it is coming to an end, so a rather lovely article by Fiona Sturges in the Guardian..

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2017/dec/09/detectorists-rich-portrait-unremarkable-lives-gone-slightly-awry-mackenzie-crook

Yes, nice article. The 'Mr' part of our household is an avid fan of Peaky Blinders - which, stylish though it may be, is very violent. The Detectorists follow after as a calming antidote. Tonight's final episode had an almost throwback hippie feel to it.
Peace and Love :)
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Edited Dec 14, 2017, 09:52
Dec 14, 2017, 09:01
The perfect finish.

Terry has his book published - Andy and Becky got their bungalow - Lance's daughter got her 'ship' - Lance and his girlfriend got to live together - the two gay girls are getting married - 'Art' got his rally etc etc and just when we thought it was all over, they were to be gifted their gold!

Wonderful series.....
Chesterwick
Chesterwick
64 posts

Dec 14, 2017, 10:16
Spoiler alert...oh, too late...
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Dec 14, 2017, 10:25
Chesterwick wrote:
Spoiler alert...oh, too late...

Sorry - day after over-enthusiasm :-)
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Dec 15, 2017, 09:24
100% spot on!

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2017-12-13/detectorists-series-3-review/
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Dec 15, 2017, 15:26
Well, well Roy! Everyone loved it - perhaps because it was escapism to some ethereal version of England which mainly exists in those rare transitory moments of dewy cobwebs as the sun comes up.

I like to think the savvy Mackenzie Crook did a bit of research, maybe even looked at websites such as TMA (the rainbow at the end) and realised a comedy about metal detecting had only a limited life span. In the end their 'pot of gold' came to them by a fairy-tale fluke - they pointedly didn't dig it up. The final series spoke far more about conservation - bats, trees, hedgehogs and an old run down property in need of renovation rather than a pristine, sterile new build.
Perhaps the message is metal detectorists are looking for 'treasure' in the wrong place.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Dec 15, 2017, 15:36
Real treasure is always to be found by just looking, as I'm sure you know June.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Dec 16, 2017, 22:37
Dec 15, 2017, 19:50
nigelswift wrote:
Real treasure is always to be found by just looking, as I'm sure you know June.

"To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower ... "
Howburn Digger
Howburn Digger
986 posts

Dec 18, 2017, 16:23
tjj wrote:
Well, well Roy! Everyone loved it - perhaps because it was escapism to some ethereal version of England which mainly exists in those rare transitory moments of dewy cobwebs as the sun comes up.

Dysfunctional broken families, children that parents have never seen as they grew up, corruption in the "Heritage" and building trade, grown-up working people forced to live wih their aging (sorry Diana...) parents because of forty-year old hot-air housing bubble... a lottery win that doesn't make you happy... crystal healing and wholemeal candle shops that are dying in their elusive customers non- footfall... cutting down trees to clear land for wind-farms... a mayor who loses his chain of office when out dogging...

"Detectorists" simply provided a pastoral setting for an ever so slightly dystopian society...
Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index