Head To Head
Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Kilmartin Area »
How to get the best from Kilmartin in a week?

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited May 01, 2017, 22:51
How to get the best from Kilmartin in a week?
May 01, 2017, 16:20
Off up to Argyll and Bute in a couple of weeks. Staying near Lochgilphead (not camping), have access to car, have maps. Just been looking at the entries for Kilmartin here on TMA - only one general fieldnote from Wee Malky which will bear in mind:

"I think that one of the best ways to see the tombs and stones at the top end of the valley is to walk past the museum and down to the bottom of the road. Cross the field diagonally and you will find a stile onto a path which takes you to each of the cists and then onto Temple Wood and the great cross."

Am reading my way through the individual sites and field notes - any little pointers/tips would be much appreciated.

Edited:
postman
848 posts

Re: How to get the best from Kilmartin in a week?
May 01, 2017, 16:34
Don't go to sleep and get a big torch.

I always seem to do the same thing, park near the great X, see that, cross the field to Templewood, then follow the line of tombs down then back again, not a circular walk for sure, but I don't mind seeing somethings twice. Everything else has it's own parking place, more or less.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

May 01, 2017, 17:02
postman wrote:
Don't go to sleep and get a big torch.

I always seem to do the same thing, park near the great X, see that, cross the field to Templewood, then follow the line of tombs down then back again, not a circular walk for sure, but I don't mind seeing somethings twice. Everything else has it's own parking place, more or less.

Ah thanks! I'm just working my way through the sites here on TMA and have come across your input. Am making notes so once again appreciation to this great website and all the people who contribute to it.
CARL
511 posts

May 02, 2017, 07:30
If you have a nice day (weather wise) I would suggest parking near the museum and walking along the footpath which takes you past most of the sites. It is a lovely walk if you have the weather! The sites further out are only a short drive away and they all have appropriate parking places so visiting them are easy. Kilmartin is one of my favourite places in the whole of the UK. Have fun! :)
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

May 02, 2017, 07:44
CARL wrote:
If you have a nice day (weather wise) I would suggest parking near the museum and walking along the footpath which takes you past most of the sites. It is a lovely walk if you have the weather! The sites further out are only a short drive away and they all have appropriate parking places so visiting them are easy. Kilmartin is one of my favourite places in the whole of the UK. Have fun! :)

Thanks Carl, am looking forward to it.
Rhiannon
5290 posts

May 02, 2017, 10:25
" Kilmartin is one of my favourite places in the whole of the UK."
High praise indeed, as I think Carl's seen practically all of them :)
bauheed
bauheed
895 posts

May 02, 2017, 13:34
I'd recommend stopping off at Dunadd before you go to Kilmartin itself. It's a couple of miles south of Kilmartin just off the road from Lochgolphead, so on the way. It's a short climb to the top and the views are good. Some fascinating carvings on the rocks up there.
tomatoman
118 posts

May 02, 2017, 13:45
Make sure you take in Achnabreck enroute from Lochgilphead. For scenic context, we always fit in a walk up the back road from the valley towards Crinan Ferry and up the Kilmichael Glen to see the Glassary and Loch Leathan, towards Barmolloch. It's important to WALK, to get the vibe!
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

May 02, 2017, 16:09
Rhiannon wrote:
" Kilmartin is one of my favourite places in the whole of the UK."
High praise indeed, as I think Carl's seen practically all of them :)

I thought that too :)
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

May 02, 2017, 16:14
bauheed wrote:
I'd recommend stopping off at Dunadd before you go to Kilmartin itself. It's a couple of miles south of Kilmartin just off the road from Lochgolphead, so on the way. It's a short climb to the top and the views are good. Some fascinating carvings on the rocks up there.

Thanks, yes definitely on the list - we understand there is a belief it is the ancient capital of Dalriada (Dal Riata). Will make sure its not missed.
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index