The Pilgrimage

14 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
carol27
747 posts

Re: The Pilgrimage
Apr 18, 2017, 16:00
costaexpress wrote:
Fantastic, has to be done. I would book the ferries in advance simply because it is in my make up to do so, however, noticed people buying on the day for both Lewis and Orkney. On my trip the Minch was vomit inducing, however, I believe there was a crossing on a July afternoon in 1942 that went smoothly so you may be OK. As for Orkney, the heritage sites now belong to the casual day tourist not the ModA and therefore if you want to really enjoy these sites its worth one morning having a 6.00 am visit and getting the place to yourself. As you know there are man other sites on Orkney that very few people go to and can be enjoyed any time of day.
Have a great time and return spiritually and morally cleansed

Yes I intend seeing the sites early morning, dusk, night time. Light makes such a difference to these places. It's nice to meet people but I have become spoilt with Long Meg & Sunkenkirk which are relatively local; mostly having them to myself. I do sometimes long though to lie down on the grass in balmy weather & just breathe it all in & warm weather brings folks out,& quite rightly so. I'm a bit nervous about the organised tours of Maise Howe & Tomb of the Eagles but if that's how it is.. We shall be seeking out other sites & wey hey!

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index