The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
The Pilgrimage

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
carol27
747 posts

The Pilgrimage
Apr 15, 2017, 19:14
Can't quite believe it but we're off to the Isle of Lewis & Orkneys. Unexpected windfall. I asked for one of those Chinese waving cats for me birthday & it worked..he he.
What I'd like to know is should we book ferrys in advance? Or can we just turn up? We go in May.
It takes a bit of organising this lark doesn't it? Have got accommodation sorted but the timings are tight. We have 8 whole days..yey! Downside is taking blokes best friend who doesn't wash a lot..hey ho:) Hope all well.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Apr 16, 2017, 09:41
Re: The Pilgrimage
Apr 15, 2017, 20:17
carol27 wrote:
Can't quite believe it but we're off to the Isle of Lewis & Orkneys. Unexpected windfall. I asked for one of those Chinese waving cats for me birthday & it worked..he he.
What I'd like to know is should we book ferrys in advance? Or can we just turn up? We go in May.
It takes a bit of organising this lark doesn't it? Have got accommodation sorted but the timings are tight. We have 8 whole days..yey! Downside is taking blokes best friend who doesn't wash a lot..hey ho:) Hope all well.

Hi Carol, I went to Lewis with a good friend four years ago - wanted to see Callanish before I die and all that. My good friend booked the ferries and flights from Birmingham to Inverness, I just coughed up my share. We hired a car at Inverness Airport and drove to Ullapool, stayed in a superb B&B overnight. I had smoked salmon and scrambled egg for breakfast. Big Mistake. Do not eat before getting on the ferry, it can get rough going across the Minch. It was a great holiday, saw all I wanted to see and so much more. The two things that stand out in my memory though are the golden eagle that watched us from a ridge near Bostadh, then hovered overhead. And ... being very sea sick on the crossing over (as was friend). Thought I was going to die - and did actually become quite ill on my return home. So the trip is overshadowed by that. But I live on, and am grateful. Back up to Scotland in May too - Kilmartin area.

Orkney is wonderful - went quite a while ago now on an organised trip. Would love to go back. I would say book ferries in advance.

PS: Take warm clothes, Lewis can be cold, wet and windy in May (speaking from experience).
Joolio Geordio
Joolio Geordio
1300 posts

Apr 15, 2017, 21:20
Fantastic- when on Lewis make sure you get to see Margaret Curtis it will be the best history lesson on the stones you will ever have. she has so much knowledge to impart, and if you are lucky she might involve you in some practical work looking for evidence of stone circles. I can't recommend a visit to Margaret highly enough.
Joolio
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Apr 15, 2017, 21:56
Joolio Geordio wrote:
Fantastic- when on Lewis make sure you get to see Margaret Curtis it will be the best history lesson on the stones you will ever have. she has so much knowledge to impart, and if you are lucky she might involve you in some practical work looking for evidence of stone circles. I can't recommend a visit to Margaret highly enough.
Joolio

I should have mentioned Margaret, sorry. We spent a few hours at with her at Callanish and later in the week she came with us down to Harris. She is a remarkable woman - was living alone with about 20 cats when we met her. Last I heard of her, she is becoming frail and needs a walking aid to get about.
An Avebury friend gave me her telephone number - having visited Lewis a bit ahead of me. If she is still meeting people I am sure the Callanish Visitor's Centre would be able to give out her contact details. She does appreciate payment for her time but I think this may be negotiable.
scubi63
463 posts

Apr 16, 2017, 10:36
I did the same trip during a similar time frame and time of year and both the ferries to Orkney and Lewis were busy, so I suggest you book in advance.
Also check the ferry times to the various islands if you going to them as they required a little planning to fit into my timetable. When i was there you booked and paid at the local office in Kirkwall.

I was lucky and had good to excellent weather for the most part on Orkney.
scubi63
463 posts

Apr 16, 2017, 10:38
As a matter of interest I did a bit of a blog from my trip to Orkney on the Heritage Journal web site which might be of interest.

Part one is here and talks about getting there.
https://heritageaction.wordpress.com/2011/06/15/scubis-scottish-adventures-part-1-travelling-2/
carol27
747 posts

Apr 16, 2017, 18:11
scubi63 wrote:
As a matter of interest I did a bit of a blog from my trip to Orkney on the Heritage Journal web site which might be of interest.

Part one is here and talks about getting there.
https://heritageaction.wordpress.com/2011/06/15/scubis-scottish-adventures-part-1-travelling-2/

I've just read through your blog & it's great, thankyou. Most of the sites you've visited I've highlighted, but a few I now know about. I value your opinions & information;it's all really interesting & I'm even more excited to go. I'll book the ferries.
carol27
747 posts

Apr 16, 2017, 18:19
tjj wrote:
Joolio Geordio wrote:
Joolio

I should have mentioned Margaret, sorry. We spent a few hours at with her at Callanish and later in the week she came with us down to Harris. She is a remarkable woman - was living alone with about 20 cats when we met her. Last I heard of her, she is becoming frail and needs a walking aid to get about.
An Avebury friend gave me her telephone number - having visited Lewis a bit ahead of me. If she is still meeting people I am sure the Callanish Visitor's Centre would be able to give out her contact details. She does appreciate payment for her time but I think this may be negotiable.

Dear tjj & joolio I have read a lot about Margaret & I'll look into contacting her. She sounds amazing. I'll book the ferries & visit the chemist for some anti emetics I think! My sea legs are usually pretty good, although one journey back from France which seemed to last for 8 or so hours left me completely pissed off with my beloved sea. Having to deal with 3 vomiting kids plus 1 incapacitated father left me rather unenthusiastic:)
costaexpress
77 posts

Apr 16, 2017, 18:57
Fantastic, has to be done. I would book the ferries in advance simply because it is in my make up to do so, however, noticed people buying on the day for both Lewis and Orkney. On my trip the Minch was vomit inducing, however, I believe there was a crossing on a July afternoon in 1942 that went smoothly so you may be OK. As for Orkney, the heritage sites now belong to the casual day tourist not the ModA and therefore if you want to really enjoy these sites its worth one morning having a 6.00 am visit and getting the place to yourself. As you know there are man other sites on Orkney that very few people go to and can be enjoyed any time of day.
Have a great time and return spiritually and morally cleansed
Wild Wooder
216 posts

Apr 16, 2017, 22:41
Aside from the usual Orkney sites I can well recommend Peatfire Tales http://www.orkneyattractions.com/ and the Italian Chapel https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_Chapel, both quite magical!
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index