Marbles

13 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
GLADMAN
950 posts

Re: Marbles
Mar 15, 2017, 23:34
nigelswift wrote:
On the day the (bloody) Brexit Bill clears its last hurdle the Greeks suggest returning the Parthenon marbles as a symbolic act against sinister forces seeking the 'dissolution of Europe'.
I agree with them. We should. An ideal moment.
;)

Interesting dilemma though...

My understanding - perhaps erroneous - is that past Greek governments didn't give a monkey's about the Pathenon, which was allowed to fall into complete decay, even used as a fort during the Turkish occupation.

By all accounts Lord Elgin wasn't a man you'd wish to have a drink with... you'd end up paying... selling the marbles, crudely hacked from the superstructure by labourers, to the British Museum upon bankruptcy. Typical, worthless British aristocracy.

However the point is the Greek authorities didn't give a damn until the issue became political. That frightening spectre of Nationalism currently employed by Sturgeon when times are hard - people are far more receptive to politicians telling them they are hard done by... which suddenly makes history so important. Someone else is to blame, not you. The marbles can not be returned to the Pathenon, so I assume they would be housed within the (relatively) new museum the Greeks 'somehow' found the money to build while countless billions in debt? Whereas the Egyptians are more than happy to send Tutankhamun's stuff on apparently endless world tours?

Perhaps that is the crux of the issue. Not where the artefacts are, but a tacit recognition of who 'owns' them? The marbles were created to adorn a temple dedicated to Athena... investigate that if you will, but it is not healthy. The new husband of the woman I bought my car from decides that 'times have changed,' and I must give it back?

Personally I would sell the marbles back to the Grecian government. They do not need to be in the British Museum... in my opinion. I think our own history/prehistory is more than enough. An isolated Britain took an primary lead in saving Greece from Nazi enslavement. Didn't that pay off the debts of a moron British aristocrat? Let's talk sensibly about this, perhaps?

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index