Teenage builders

39 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Re: Teenage builders
Feb 27, 2017, 20:07
carol27 wrote:
At the risk of being gauche & crass..no change there then, given the assumed life span of our ancestors, this, the Paleolithic, Neolithic was largely the age of youth( as we perceive it to day?) I realise of course that "time" was possibly not a concept as we have to experience it today. Don't you find that fascinating? These astonishing "cultures" basically may have been "teenage" driven & orientated.
Of course in the slave labour driven dynasties, for eg the Romans, the Victorians etc life expectancy wasn't so great for the underprivileged. So, what's my point? No idea, but I get these funny notions. And of course, " teenagers" are a luxury item:)

It is fascinating. I've sometimes tried to imagine what it must have been like as a child growing up in Neolithic Britain. And, yes, what were those 'teenagers' like exactly? By, say, 13 or 14, were they driven and focused? Having children themselves? Did they feel a deep belonging and respect or did they take the piss out of the older members of the community and constantly form new social groups and find new ways of living?

I bet a few just sulked in long barrows listening to extreme drum 'n horn.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index