Head To Head
Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Which is the longest/largest recumbent stone in the UK?

26 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2550 posts

Re: Which is the longest/largest recumbent stone in the UK?
Feb 17, 2017, 10:49
tiompan wrote:
drewbhoy wrote:
tiompan wrote:
An interesting point about the Old Keig recumbent is that if it was provenanced accurately it might prove to be one of the best cases for long distance hauling in the UK , where glaciation would not be a possible explanation , on the other hand it might prove otherwise , but the analysis could prove it one way or the other . I have often thought that it would be a useful touristy point and shouldn't cost that much to do .

Discussion here .
http://www.headheritage.co.uk/headtohead/tma/topic/34375/flat/350

Coreens?

No, east of the Coreens . It's silimanite gneiss and the nearest source was always suggested as being , from memory , somewhere near Tilliehaslach .(I'll dig out the info ). From T to OK is not the direction of glaciation and also uphill . But there is a possibility of a silimanite gneiss being found closer to OK and higher iirc so much less of a distance and also downhill and maybe even in the direction glaciation .I'll have to dig out the notes for the finer detail .

Yup, Tilliehaslach has some quarries, Ramstone also has some. Just south of the Corrie Hill might have been a source, as you would have to come downhill to OK, as well as the other 2.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index