Irish Travellers .

Pages: 5 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Irish Travellers .
Feb 12, 2017, 20:58
Hope this isn't seen as being too far removed from the general interest here .
http://www.nature.com/articles/srep42187

The upshot of the study is that the Irish travellers are of Irish descent , closely resembling the wider Irish population .
There is no genetic connection to Roma travellers .
The possible dating of the origin of the travellers used two different methods both agreed it was before the Great Famine of 1845-1852 .One method proposed a split approx 1200 yrs ago the other 360 yrs ago .
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Feb 14, 2017, 12:37
Re: Irish Travellers .
Feb 14, 2017, 10:54
tiompan wrote:

The upshot of the study is that the Irish travellers are of Irish descent , closely resembling the wider Irish population .
The possible dating of the origin of the travellers used two different methods both agreed it was before the Great Famine of 1845-1852 .One method proposed a split approx 1200 yrs ago the other 360 yrs ago .

I did find this interesting but not an easy article to read - had to look up the definition of autozygosity i.e. "Denoting genes in a homozygote that are copies of the identical ancestral gene as a result of a consanguineous mating."
In simple terms does that mean inter-marrying (cousins etc)? There are lots of close knit communities of people who do with the obvious problems.

Edit: Did a bit more homework aka google - Definition of Consanguinity =("blood relation", from the Latin consanguinitas) is the property of being from the same kinship as another person. In that aspect, consanguinity is the quality of being descended from the same ancestor as another person.

Not quite the same as (second/third) cousins marrying.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Feb 14, 2017, 17:10
The jargon /tech terminology has an oft heard definition for the results of endogamy . One impact in this case is the prevalence of galactosaemia .
Markoid
Markoid
1621 posts

Edited Feb 14, 2017, 17:21
Feb 14, 2017, 17:15
tiompan wrote:

Excuse me. As a person from both Irish and Scottish stock, you are talking through your arse. We are also from Nordic stock. Shit, I have not heard before.

You really need to get your facts right. Travellers did travel. We even interbred with many cultures. We kept it down though. That's why there is only 5.5 million of us. Bigger brains!
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Feb 14, 2017, 17:22
Did you read the paper ?
Did you understand it . ?

Whatever your genetic background it has nothing to with your inability to do either .
Markoid
Markoid
1621 posts

Feb 14, 2017, 17:27
tiompan wrote:
Did you read the paper ?

Whatever your genetic background it has nothing to with your inability to do either .

I don't have to read the paper. My ancestery is mixed. I have the documents.

You seem racist.
Markoid
Markoid
1621 posts

Feb 14, 2017, 17:30
tiompan wrote:
Did you read the paper ?

Detail where you are from...originally. I'd be intrigued.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Feb 14, 2017, 17:37
How can you possibly respond meaningfully about a topic if you don't even know what the subject is about .

You don't have to read the paper ? Really .You just know eh?

What has your ancestry got to do with you not understanding the topic ?
Documents ?
That's part of the point , this is about DNA not birth certificates or "history " .
Rather than make wild assumptions about what something "seems " why not make the effort and actually find out .
Markoid
Markoid
1621 posts

Edited Feb 14, 2017, 17:41
Feb 14, 2017, 17:40
tiompan wrote:
Did you read the paper ?

Genetic? Do you even understand genetics? Your proactive racism is quite illegal I think. I'm quite happy being a mongrel. You obviously believe in some kind of purism. Fuck you.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Feb 14, 2017, 17:47
Detail ? Fuck off .

Why should I detail anything for you ?

Fwiw , I know my geneaology , but that is just hearsay ,government certificates (BM&d and censuses ) and material from parish records .You do realise the percentage of errors made, and lies told in government records and censuses , don't you ? I wonder how much of your genealogy you actually do know .
I also know my DNA , that Y and Mt Dna and autosomal , I bet you don't .
The bulk is Scots and Irish ,but that doesn't mean I can understand the detail of academic papers without reading them .
Pages: 5 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index