104 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Monganaut
Monganaut
2370 posts

Edited Jan 26, 2017, 15:25
Re: Cancer in the Neolithic?
Jan 26, 2017, 15:17
No doubt we would have been bit better suited to fight off minor infections than we are these days. Though I'm willing to bet after a hard Winter, when not at the top of their game, more than a few would have succumb to fairly minor illnesses such a bronchitis or flu, let alone any open injuries.
Speculation, but maybe those societies followed a similar pattern to the older practices of Australian Aborigines, whereas those old, infirm or sick took themselves off to die, so as not to be a burden on the rest off the group.

Contrary to that, I've also read that evidence has been found (forget where/when) that quite sick and badly physically disabled people were well looked after in the Neolithic/Bronze Age, evidence being that the skeletal remains showed they liver longer than could have been expected with the physical ailments they had.

Diverting from the topic somewhat, I remember reading a George Ewart Evans book (forget which, he was a great champion of/ pioneer in 'aural history') where he was speaking to farm workers out in the fens who when given piped water in their homes still preferred to drink the 'ditch water', as the 'tap' water tasted funny. I don't think many of us (modern farming pollution aside) would last long doing that these days.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index