Highways England Consultation - A303/Stonehenge

202 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Re: Julian Richards gives his view on the tunnel
Feb 27, 2017, 19:00
Jon , if our responses did not make any sense why did you not highlight where that was the case ? As we have have done with your comments that didn't make any sense .

e.g. "A question that archaeologists seem to me to be reluctant to tackle is why archaeological remains have value to humanity. "
When asked top provide any examples you failed to do so , yet there are plenty of examples of archaeologists who have highlighted why archaeology provides value to humanity , an example was given where three were mentioned and plenty more where they come from .

“Anything that has value can be quantified using the definitions and methods described in documents such as Stern. (Stern is very good at doing this and explaining how it is done) “

You linked to a paper that I read , and he didn't explain the method in the paper ,you then said the explanations were in appendices that you didn't link to ,or explain how he could manage something that no one else has managed previously . I doubt that he would make the same claim for himself that you did about him .

“ I think that you are probably both correct that the mechanisms to give the archaeology of the Stonehenge WHS a higher valuation (that would be acceptable as evidence in a consultation) either do not exist or would not be accepted. “
You can't get a higher valuation from UNESCO , note that the documents related to the valuation do not include any examples of quantification of values in any of the criteria applicable to the WHS .
The first criterion for Outstanding Universal Value is ,
1)“ represent a masterpiece of human creative genius; “
Have you ever seen an example of human creative genius being quantified ? That is the crux of the problem with the belief that “Anything that has value can be quantified “

Neither Nigel's or my comments are interesting or innovative , they are simply how most people , including UNESCO , think about the values that are important to them as individuals and collectively .
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index