202 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Re: Salisbury bypass
Jan 22, 2017, 22:25
tjj wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
It is difficult to accurately predict of course, but surely a vital thing to work out is whether, if the view to the stones was lost, would traffic be reduced?
As in, if the tunnel was built would there still be the same volume of traffic on that road? If so, then that does support the case for a *long* tunnel.
Or is it the case that the 303 is only so busy because people divert to it so they can see the stones?
Imagine the building of a tunnel at great expense financially and archaeologically, only to find the traffic using it is 50% of what it was.
If this were the case (I suppose you could get close to a decent answer with survey) then perhaps a one way or toll system would work out to be the better option?

I don't live in that part of Wiltshire but can understand how difficult this road issue is for local people. I have seen a small video of the route of the proposed Salisbury by-pass which would take the bulk of the south bound traffic away the Stonehenge section of the A303 - which perhaps could then just be used for local traffic. Restricting the view of the Stones does seem to be an unspoken agenda. Again, I have to ask this question because am not knowledgeable of the area, would a by-pass go across MOD land and would that not throw up yet more obstacles??.

No idea re MOD land i'm afraid. Not over familiar with the wider SH landscape myself, i'm avebury through and through ;)
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index