202 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: Salisbury bypass
Jan 19, 2017, 09:31
tjj wrote:

And then of course there is the cynical opinion that a tunnel would give EH/NT almost sole rights to the 'view of Stonehenge'.

I don't think that's being cynical ay all June.

We travel from Cornwall to Winchester to my Mother-In-Law about a dozen times a year. Because I like to think we are sensible we only go the henge way outside of the summer months. There are three main routes from the west country (see below) so we pick and choose. Others can do the same. The extra distance is easily made up by the time you save from waiting in a queue!

There have been times when we purposely go via the A303 to simply get a view of the henge on a lovely day and take a few pix as we trickle by. If not driving I've been known to get out of the car, set a tripod up and take more pix!!

Far, far too much is being made of this issue and you seriously have to ask why so we have every right to be cynical. I've always said it and will continue to do so - all of this is to deny people seeing the henge without paying!

https://www.viamichelin.com/web/Routes/Route-London-_-Greater_London-United_Kingdom-to-Cornwall-United_Kingdom?strStartLocid=31NDFhcWsxMGNOVEV1TlRBd01qUT1jTFRBdU1USTNNRFk9&strDestLocid=3aMTEydTIxMGNOVEF1TWpZek16ST1jTFRVdU1EVXhNRGM9
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index