Head To Head
Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Warham Iron Age Camp Norfolk.... Do you think...

4 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Monganaut
Monganaut
2370 posts

Re: Warham Iron Age Camp Norfolk.... Do you think...
Dec 13, 2016, 23:48
What you say does make perfect sense, and there are other roundish hillforts dotted around the country (Cornwall, has a lovely one) but it was it's almost perfect spherical-ness that piqued my inquiry. Now thinking on it, there are lots of iron age Settlements with 'ring' in the name, so maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part.

Bloody hell Spence, 50 years is a while ago. Dads are great for that type of stuff, me and mine used to visit slightly later places, air fields and air museums (he was an air gunner in Europe/Burma in WWII). Never really done Norfolk, it's a bit of a slog fer me to get to for a day out, and I'm a sucker fer a slog up a big hill (though me knees certainly don't agree with that). Scanning the satellite views of Google earth, it certainly looks like it's rich in 'remains' of various ages, and full of tantilising crop marks. Might see if I can wrangle a short break out there next year fer a mooch about. Always fancied Breckland after reading about it in a Robert Macfarlane book.

The nipper went on a geography trip to the region a few years back, she said it was how she imagined the 1970's to be, and seemed to be littered with ruined churches....sounds right up my street :)

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index