Head To Head
Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Digging up ancient graves looking for pots to cook in...

19 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Nov 25, 2015, 18:40
Re: Digging up ancient graves looking for pots to cook in...
Nov 25, 2015, 17:42
nigelswift wrote:
On a lighter note, does aceramic mean "without a pot to piss in"?

Coat got.

An interesting topic ... prompted me to look up post-Roman middens. Came up with this link about Bosta, Great Bernera http://www.hebrideanconnections.com/subjects/31351
described as a post Roman Iron Age settlement. Scatters of pottery were among the items found there - probably not relevant to this discussion as Bosta is on the most north-westerly edge of the British Isles, their lives untouched by Roman influence.

However, it also got me thinking about what people did when 'they had to go' - post Roman. We know the Roman villas had quite sophisticated latrines and bath houses, a legacy that didn't seem to catch on after they left. The word 'midden' is found in north country dialect for outdoor earth closet and these were still being used by country folk during the last century (maybe still are in some places). They are making a comeback in some places as eco toilets. I imagine country people just went outside and found a bush - was it only with the growth of towns and cities they needed a pot to piss in?? (I surmise).
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index