Topic View: Flat | Threaded
bawn79
bawn79
864 posts

Re: Minor Standstill - October 2015
Jul 28, 2015, 18:47
tiompan wrote:
bawn79 wrote:
Thanks Tiompan - that makes sense. I suppose when is the technical Minor Standstill this year and when is the nearest to a full moon for observation purposes ie if you were going to head out to look at it when would you? (Hopefully I haven't missed it at this stage).

Standstills are problematic for a variety of reasons but possibly the most awkward is actually seeing the extreme event , as it often taking place ,below the horizon , or in cloudy conditions or in daylight ,and probably worst of all in a phase that it is difficult to see on the horizon even when the other variables are optimal .
Although there is one extreme event for each northerly and southerly minor limits the standstill is usually perceived as a period which also makes adds to the confusion ,i.e. both minor limits are almost reached for a period of months .
Tonight the set at Limerick, depending on the horizon , looks to be at 236 degrees which is pretty close to close to the minor limit for 18 October .The October date is typical in that the moon will be difficult to see as it is a waxing crescent and therefore ideal experience for evaluating the real thing . Hope it stays clear for you .

Thanks Tiompan - that's kinda what I figured that really it was about picking an event - ie as close to full moon as possible that was nearest to the 236 and 124 as possible.

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index