underground unpleasantness

14 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
The Eternal
924 posts

Re: underground unpleasantness
Apr 19, 2015, 01:07
Rhiannon,

Howburn Diggers experience sounds a bit more adventurous than mine. He was really giving what you'd call adventure a good go. Me, I was just being led by an older, vastly more experienced caver, who had been on international caving expeditions to find the deepest caves in the world. If he said 'follow me', then I gladly did so, safe in the knowledge that he was leading me through what was, to him, a relative 'piece of piss'. Having said that, I had to hold it together on numerous occasions, as I am a tad claustrophobic in tight situations. It's definitely a case of mind over matter.

I was never afraid of what lay down the caves, just my fears of constriction. In fact, every trip resulted in an adrenalin rush when emerging into the light. What was really interesting was the smell of the air when exiting. Caves are pretty dull in terms of air smell. When coming out, after a few hours, you really do smell the outside air to the extent, especially in Spring, of the sweetness. For a good 15 minutes or so after you don't half appreciate fresh air. Very strange, and something I've never experienced except through caving. The mixed showers at Bull Pot Farm afterwards were a greater test of mind over 'matter. to be honest, certainly at the age of 21 or so. Ahhhhh, happy memories.

TE.

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index