Topic View: Flat | Threaded
moss
moss
2897 posts

Edited Oct 24, 2014, 10:52
Re: FAO Rhiannon
Oct 24, 2014, 10:47
Rhiannon wrote:
Excellent, thanks for that. What is it about? I'm guessing they mention the shovel he found. But other things too, is there something topical that's provoked the article?

Can't find the shovel. Well a quick precis of the article of this rather remarkable man Rhiannon; There is a photo of Toad Hall, the old medieval house he bought in 1957 for £510 pounds, and which since he has donated to a trust to look after so that 'footballer's wives' will not get their hands on it....but also leaving his children without an inheritance.

Garner sits with, what to me seems a very modern looking stone axehead, which has featured in his stories I think. He is fascinated by archaeology, but likes 'naughty' imaginative archaeologists, those who in fact go out on a limb and theorize, therefore he is not too worried that today's interpretation of "Stonehenge is historically or prehistorically wrong, or factually wrong, because it will change tomorrow".

Similar feelings towards museums and this 'modern mode' of display and to quote, "let us say a piece of neolithic pottery, it's mounted and lit as though it's a very expensive hat in a shop!"

I think as an imaginative writer he does not find the manipulation of 'general academic facts' to suit the story as terrible as some might - but then we all knew that didn't we?......

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index