Grimes Graves - Trip Adviser

25 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Howburn Digger
Howburn Digger
986 posts

Re: Grimes Graves - Trip Adviser
Aug 21, 2014, 16:49
I love Tripadvisor. On a previous thread I have pointed out where some reviewers have described monuments (eg The Scott Monument in Edinburgh) as "too high". The same reviewer also reviewed The Wallace Monument near Stirling (this was again "too high and the stairs were too steep") and they even reviewed the Cafe there "We didn't eat there but the food smelled nice".
I love the idea of some slightly disinterested individual "damning with faint praise" those things which simply cannot really be "reviewed". Thus the toilets in the restaurant constructed on the top of Snowdon are applauded for their "abundance of soft toilet rolls" their "powerful flush" yet castigated because the water was "too hot".
The thread on TMA before about Tripadvisor was about Bryn Cellig Dhu where reviewers descibed it as "Not Quite What We Thought We Were Getting" and - my fave - "The Stone Age house was a pretty grim place and had none of the interior stuff left like wall paintings and things. That would have been quite something but there wasn't really anything which grabbed your attention. It was quite spooky though to creep around in and it had a good atmosphere - but I definitely would not have wanted to live in here back then." Other worthies/ pedants chip in stuff like "The usual spelling of the site is Bryn Celli Ddu and it's in Anglesey which is no longer in Gwynedd." - a lovely touch I'm sure we can all agree.

Rejoice in Tripadvisor. Worship at the font of its genius. Revel in its utter plainness. Wonder at the mundane power of the computer mouse's click as someone hits "send" on their review of a Scottish mountain... "too high, the path a bit winding and a bit steep at the top. Quite a long walk too, take a packed lunch..."

Wondrous!
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index