Wittenham Clumps and Castle Hill »
wittenham clumps and didcot towers

11 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Re: wittenham clumps and didcot towers
Jul 31, 2014, 10:29
I love the Didcot cooling towers, I love windfarms. If the Neolithic people had access to that technology and these materials, they would surely have used them. It may come as a shock to some but stone circles, cairns, etc etc are not natural features. Landscape 'beauty' is a very modern thing and very subjective. I personally don't think the people of the Neolithic gave two sh*ts about 'beauty' in that sense. Drama, of a sort, perhaps, but I think they were concerned with getting results, for want of a less obviously snappy and disconcertingly vague phrase. I can just imagine locals in 2800bc, angrily waving their placards, 'Keep Avebury ditch free' and 'No Hill here'.

One of my favourite views in the world is of Brightwell barrow from Castle Hill. The Cooling towers are a vital part of that view being so incredible and meaningful. I've never visited Brightwell and never will, as it won't be what I want it to be up close, but if look from the hill it can remain what its always been in my imagination.

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index