11 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6209 posts

Re: wittenham clumps and didcot towers
Jul 29, 2014, 21:40
nigelswift wrote:
... isn't it reasonable to oppose SOME of them (and not others?)

I'd go along with this, context is everything (or at least quite a lot)? I dislike the impact of the proposed housing development on the context of Old Oswestry, but would have no issue with the same development being located elsewhere.

I quite like windfarms, having seen quite a few up very close now. But I think they will seriously harm the Monadhliath mountains, and the sheer numbers are already badly detracting from much of Mid-Wales. The irony being that these two beautiful wild areas house hardly anyone, but are being exploited to serve populous areas elsewhere. I would feel much much more comfortable if the means of generating electricity was, where possible, sited in proximity to the community it serves. Why should we favour "out of sight, out of mind" and "not in my back yard"? Why not accept that if we want electricity we should also accept the means of its generation in our plain sight, instead of imposing it elsewhere? I do appreciate that some areas are better suited to generating wind or wave power than others, but I dislike the sanitised disassociation of placing these things elsewhere when we're the ones using them.

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index