How can Blencathra be for sale?

35 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Re: How can Blencathra be for sale?
May 09, 2014, 14:16
I don't think anyone would want Donald Trump near anywhere held sacred in our lovely British Isles. You have to wonder if the Earl of Lonsdale is not having his own private 'wind-up' - and he only mentioned rich Russians or Chinese as possible purchasers. I am sure he was hoping that the general public (i.e.us) would be stirred into action and start a campaign, so I guess on reflection we are playing into his hands. I question how these so called 'upper classes' have come to own vast tracts of our countryside. The truth is the mountain is not his to sell and whilst I can become fired up at the thought of a wealthy American/Russian/Chinese whatever putting in a bid its not going to happen is it - because the Blencathra fell cannot be exploited except by the Earl of Lonsdale in trying to sell it back to the country who own it anyway - if its part of the National Park.
To quote the Earl of Lonsdale “Once the death duties are gone, I can have a better way of life, I can go and buy myself a super yacht in the south of France or a house in the Bahamas. Why not?”

This morning I was wondering how to go about making my small donation of a tenner having seen some well meaning campaigners on the news. How someone gets a bill for £9 million in inheritance tax is beyond my comprehension - is it not beyond the realms of possibility to broker some sort of deal and let the man sail away in a rubber dinghy.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index