35 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
moss
moss
2897 posts

Re: How can Blencathra be for sale?
May 09, 2014, 11:17
grufty jim wrote:
I know it would be cynical, but they should find some billionaire looking for a bit of good publicity (I'm looking specifically at you, Donald Trump) and get him to buy the mountain and donate it to the nation. He could spin the PR so that it counteracted some of the shit he's been getting for his golf courses ("See! I can preserve the landscape as well as develop it!") and let's face it, the purchase would be pocket-change for him.

And no, I'm not saying someone like Donald Trump should be forgiven his many sins, but why not exploit those sins for the greater good?

Well to acknowledge Harestonedown's point, access will still be the same whoever owns it, this news bite gives both sides of the argument...

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/should-we-buy-blencathra

"The mountain is designated as Open Access land under the Countryside and Rights of Way (CRoW) Act, meaning recreational users can roam where they like (subject to certain conditions).

Various levels of environmental protection also apply to Blencathra by virtue of it falling within a national park and being part of a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI), so any potential development on the mountain would face very stiff legal obstacles."

Donald Trump is an idiot, hopefully he has gone away, his brain can't cope with our legal minefields, except by bluster and bullying...
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index