The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
antiquarianism vs archaeology

51 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Re: Treading your path.
Oct 27, 2002, 14:12
Yayy we are all getting there in our own merry ways!
I mean I still dunno whether I feel comfortable labelling myself as a 'pagan' 'cos of all the baggage that term seems to have accumulated over recent years. Y' know do I have item No. 3 on the pagan checklist of things as stated in Pagan Dawn magazine. (BTW that's a bit of a po-faced mag sometimes if you've ever seen it. Loads of "non more pagan than I" type stuff. Bah!)
However what I do know is that my personal interest in 'paganism' 'Wicca' and whathaveyou stems entirely from certain leanings I had way back in my childhood, decades before I had any inkling as to what a pagan or wiccan was/is. Its just relatively recently I've had a name to stick to some of these feelings. Not that that should be entirely necessay I s'pose.
That is to say, though I find some books and stuff interesting and illuminating, entertaining and sometimes just plain fun to read (these things should be enjoyable after all! Ballz to all this hair-shirt approach to faith), looking back I can see many things I did and experienced as a child seemed to be driving me in a 'pagan' direction completely regardless of any relgious construct or conscious act. It even transpired that I had been accumulating some artifacts of pagan/witch craft culture as I was going along, completely irrespective of what they were supposed to 'mean'; I was literally just drawn to certain things. Amongst those things were also stone circles and sacred spaces Also that need just to disappear into the countryside for no reasons other than the need itself.
And surely that sense of being drawn is perhaps the purest expression of one's spiritual leanings. No guide book or sacred scrolls and so on required so to speak.
So still unsure of whether I come up to scratch as a 'pagan' by a textbook definition (probably not), but certainly enjoying just treading a path that's leading in a certain direction and it sound like you are well down a path yourself!
Cool chats anyhoo.
x
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index