The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
antiquarianism vs archaeology

51 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Re: Old Mother Earth
Oct 27, 2002, 10:13
Rite on Pixie. I agree that there's too much (misplaced?) emphasis on so-called ancient wisdoms for those of us who wish to relate to gods, goddesses and whatever in the here and now. Not to denigrate any of those ancient ways. For example in terms of nature worship, or perhaps a better phrase might be 'respect', the Native American traditions of times past & present can tell us a whole lot about wisdom in relation to the world around us. Probably more so than some cobbled together neo-pagan thing. Also it seems to be an unwritten law that "lo..and no two pagans shall agree on any way of doing things, so mote it be..or not"
However the way I see it meself is that that some of the modern ideas re: god, goddess and so on, are and should be, timeless and deeply personal interpretations of the magic and wonder and spirit of the world around us. And though some of the 'traditions' and lore surrounding these ideas are often very beautiful, it shouldn't mean that one has to be slavishly rooted (pardon the pun) withing another persons construct of belief. (One for pseuds corner there I think)
For me the goddess is a vibrant, evolving and lets face it sexy idea, especially in terms of the notions of moon worship.
And you're right to say that at the end of the day, it's down to whats within that should be the driving force as to how one goes about their business, whether that be religion, faith, science and so on.
There have been many scientists that have no problem in balancing the rationale of their scientific theories, knowledge and experience with a more "spiritual" set of beliefs in a faith or religion.
My old chemistry teacher was a man of facts, theories and scientific outlook and yet he was also an utterly devout Christian who saw no contradiction in his outlook. And he wasnt a scientist who drew faith from the Bible as a series of allegories either; he believed it word for word!

To be honest I sometimes find that to be somewhat contradictory and a difficult balancing act to maintain, but I fully accept that if thats what is in the heart of someone, it's what they draw comfort from, then who am I to rain on their parade?
(Gotta say I find all these Hollywood types rolling in cash who suddenly become Buddhists a slightly more difficult notion to swallow but thats my beef)

Sorry to ramble, as the fell walker said the to farmer.
Hey we yam what we yam!
Bless yerselves
x
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index