51 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: Old Mother Earth
Oct 25, 2002, 13:37
Here's part of my argument ..

The passage and cycle of the sun was clearly known to the ancients. They knew that if the sun did not return, i.e. without the sun,'mother nature' would cease to exist. 'Sol' is the life giver .. always has been ... always will be. Sorry to all the feminists that cling to the Mother Goddess theory, but the Mother is just the bearer of the product of the Sun's seed. I say this not from any woman hating viewpoint that feeds Christianity ans suchlike, but from my interpretation of the evidence as I see it.

Well, that's my oppinion of the evidence. Even Graves' the White Goddess fails to prove anything other than the existance of a female god with a running theme. At no point does his extensive research point to an all powerful, omnipotent goddess.

It is far more likely that the Sun and Earth stood side by side as a male and female god-head-pair than either of them being more powerful than the other.

Having said that, it is The Sun (the big hot thing in the sky and not the rag - although these days I could be wrong) that dictated our lives. For year people have risen with the sun and retired with the sun. Our lives are not only controlled by the sun but are in debt to it too.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index