The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
antiquarianism vs archaeology

51 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Re: antiquarianism vs archaeology
Oct 24, 2002, 20:38
Well said Fitz. I agree with post. It some times gets a little galling to be told that ones "take" on a place is "wrong" because the archaelogical and scientific evidence dictates what a place, (circle what ever) is, what it was used for and so on. Sure I'm interested in the facts from an historical perspective, and also as a window into the ways of things back then. What does raise my ire a little is to be told that any personal feelings (call it spiritual whatever) I gain from a site either don't make "sense" in relation to the archaeological evidence about the place, and anyway, my experiences are just down to "new age" bollocks and such.
That's treading on me as far as I'm concerned. While I might walk into a Cathedral and be impressed by the building and it's history for instance, I wouldn't feel that would give me license to denigrate the fella kneeling at the altar, even if I didn't go for his particular bag!
I love to learn about stuff, absolutely and I certainly have here. But my main avenue of interest is how I relate and feel and empathise with a place. It;s a personal thing and I don't like it being devalued cos it's not what it says in the textbooks.
Yes the anthropolgy thing is valid too, IMHO.
Wonderment comes in many forms with these places!
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index