bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Re: I've got it !
Mar 10, 2013, 11:52
Sanctuary wrote:
tiompan wrote:

From the Pyongyang one:-

Two thirds of the world’s dolmens are contained in the Korean peninsula. The Gochang, Hwaun, and Ganghwa dolmen sites can be found on the UNESCO World Heritage list. This probably begs the question, from me at least – what are dolmens exactly? They are stone monuments, generally consisting of two supporting stones and a cover stone (see picture). Some are confirmed to have been tombs. Many of the cover stones are turtle-shaped, and the turtle was a symbol of longevity, both in this life and the afterlife.

At Trethevy...
https://picasaweb.google.com/100525707086862773355/TrethevyTortoise?authkey=Gv1sRgCKOfrtaEn4CpkgE#5812197409464747442

I think you're on to something with the mating snakes at Goodaver as well, and that snakes head stone there seems to suggest they knew of the snakes there, as they would knowing the land as they did, Reptiles are very popular in many Ancient cultures, so i can't see any reason that wouldn't be the same on these islands in the distant past, serpents and paganism seem to go hand in hand all over the world.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index