Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: Just messing.
Mar 09, 2013, 22:18
harestonesdown wrote:
bladup wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
bladup wrote:
Not seen those, I love them, when i see Zennor it gives me a warm glow, do you think it's a bit strange to love a portal dolman so much Roy? it's great now but imagine it complete before the blasting took place, have you ever looked at the portugal portal dolmans because some of them are very like the Cornwall ones, somewhere like http://www.megalithic.co.uk/article.php?sid=26149, Remember the tin links with that part of the world are that ancient as well, we could maybe learn more about these Cornwall ones from that part of the world.

You know how I feel about Trethevy now Paul. I want to see Zennor on a warm sunny summers day as so far, even though bright once, it was freezing cold and as you know foggy and cold on the other! That dolmen in the photo is big isn't it which makes me wonder why, if they could do that for the dead, why didn't they also build them to live in in numbers?

I think it's because of just how respected the Ancestors/spirits were back then, Nowadays people struggle to even respect old people nevermind the Ancestors, The Ancestors were everything to those people - the hero's in their stories and therefore who they tried to be as good as [great stories make people want to be good like the hero's in the stories they loved, this is good for the tribe], the ancestors were also the reason the land was seen as their's, and who they turned to in times of trouble, and the biggie -the reason they themselves were alive.

I have to take issue with this every time i hear it. These important people whom large structures were built for would have been the royalty of their day, nothing no more nor less, so why afford them so much respect ? we (mostly) don't show our royals that respect so why would your average Neolithic/Bronze age bloke in the street ?

I'll have to take issue with you over the word 'street' Geoff. I think it should be track :-)
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index