Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: Trethevy Quoit in danger
Mar 03, 2013, 09:44
nigelswift wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
The knobbles, as you called them, would be artificial.

if that can be established as a fact it will be interesting as the amount of effort involved in reducing the whole surface in order to leave the nobbles standing proud is pretty great. Not as great as with the Stonehenge tenons but still pretty hard.

When we all visit a new site for the first time such as Trethevy/Zennor/anywhere we only really 'overview' it don't we. It's only when you make return visits that you begin to notice things you didn't notice before or just accepted because that's what the guide book or information board tells you what exactly you are supposedly looking at.

I've mentioned this before but it wasn't like that for my eldest son who has no interest whatoever in ancient monuments or for stones in general for that matter. When I dragged him out to the quoit to help me take measurements he made the statement that I had been wanting to make for months but was reluctant to because this is a serious subject and one that is only normally put into print by professional people.

"If you had all those pieces laid out on the ground you'd never put them back together like that again would you dad!"

He was SO right and that is why it is the Intro to my Work. A totally uninterested 27 year-old spotted that immediately yet all the 'names' never did...or at least never owned up to it for fear of ridicule!
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index