433 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: Trethevy Quoit in danger
Mar 02, 2013, 19:31
nigelswift wrote:
I must say,it's hard to think there isn't a danger of the capstone sliding off when you see this picture from 11 years ago http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/11/trethevy_quoit.html#images
(the last one in the last line but one, posted by phil).
I can only presume the EH engineers have calculated that friction will keep it in place.

So far as the other movement is concerned, have you been able to replicate any of the early pictures on TMA in order to show a change?

In my opinion Nigel, based on my own research which never once relied on information from other sources, is that Trethevy has reached the point of no return and will fall. All that is preventing it happen at the moment is the immense skill of our great ancestors, but it won't last. I have plenty more to say and a lot more evidence which will be available in a couple of weeks time, in the meantime look at these pix I have taken over the past 18 months. They are just a taster.

Pic 1 and 2 show the capstone resting on the Main supporting orthostat, the only stone that is earthfast (thank goodness). Resting is the wrong word today because it no longer does that but leans against it and is now pushing it out. You can see by the rounded corner on the main orthostat that it is now just beyond the point of no return and cannot be saved unless supported. A blind man can see that but not EH!

Pic 3 is the result of it being pushed past the point of no return, a massive lean. You already know that during 2011 it moved another 3/4". It stops for a while to take up the strain, then it starts again. An earth tremor would finish it off.

The 3rd pic is just a pic I took from an odd angle to show what a wreck the quoit can look depending on where you take it from, hence the photo you refer to showing the capstone about to slide off.

Pic 5 shows why it hasn't slid off and for some reason not mentioned over the years...keying points...and they called themselves researchers! This was cutting-edge technology of its time and gone un-noticed. I have loads of this stuff to be read soon so it's best I say no more.

Other than...Trethevy had a HUGE scare in the past and is not now as it is was then prior to that scare. The only mystery left is why all the antiqueries of the past have not sussed it out.

https://picasaweb.google.com/100525707086862773355/ThePointOfNoReturn?authkey=Gv1sRgCK7iqszBhMC6Jw#
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index