Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: Trethevy Quoit in danger
Mar 01, 2013, 11:15
Littlestone wrote:
Many thanks for that.

If I’ve understood correctly we’re now faced with a secondary problem – ie that to properly conserve the structure not only does the bank need to be extended but also that the whole thing needs to be taken down and (correctly) reassembled. There are precedents for that sort of remedial work (think the Leaning Tower of Pisa) where unsuitable materials or techniques have been used on works of art etc. Could we ever hope that English Heritage would embark on such a programme at Trethevy...

The alternative is stark though. As you say, the structure will one day come down – if nothing is done now to stabilise it that’s likely to be sooner rather than later :-(

My latest information is that EH engineers consider the structure as secure but will monitor the situation and are quite happy for the public to carry on as usual with free access to it. The field has now been harrowed over and it would seem that all is as it was. I will visit shortly and report back.
Quite what is being done to keep stock off the banked base to the monument in the future when allowed to graze in the field I am yet to find out, but I do know that there is an exclusion zone written-in to the deeds which go with the land. Obviously this was breached but what the outcome will be to that I don't know.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index