Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: Trethevy Quoit in danger
Mar 03, 2013, 18:05
nigelswift wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
I cringe every time I see a family with kids pile in on top of that stone

That sounds horrible. I have read thousands of structural reports in my time. There are two things you should know about them:
1. They are completely useless unless written down, signed and dated
2. See above.

It would cost you a lot of money to commission one but you can get an excellent one for free by simply emailing EH and asking them if Trethevy Quoit is completely safe to visit.

;)

Better still if you said you'd been told it was unsafe then get them to commit themselves by saying it was safe. You wouldn't be around to collect the compensation mind you :-)
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Mar 03, 2013, 18:12
bladup wrote:
harestonesdown wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
harestonesdown wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
harestonesdown wrote:
Littlestone wrote:
tiompan wrote:
It's not an exercise in common sense building , it's a portal tomb .

Surely you’re not suggesting the (original) builders would choose a less stable construction over a more stable one? We’re talking about a people who knew their materials and understood the properties and limitations of those materials inside out. The fact that the structures have survived so long is proof positive of that.

If anyone doubts Sanctuary's findings at Trethevy they should watch his latest DVD.

Youtube link ?

Frayed knot Geoff. Nobody would need to buy the book if I did that. I said earlier it wasn't for sale. Still good though :-)

Not sure i get you Roy ?

The current DVD is just a private effort Geoff not made to sell. If I let people see it they would then not need to buy the book.
BTW, sorry if I'm not responding to some mails but that same problem I had the other week has returned. The unread mails highlighted in red are not turning to orange once read so unless I go through them all I don't know what's new or not after a while. Grrrr

Ah, i see now.

He's a right tease when he's got something to sell isn't he?

Well I won't be making much here that's for sure :-). Will give the link to it when it's available.
Pleased we're all contributing to interesting threads lately though without falling out.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Mar 03, 2013, 18:14
I'm serious, if you are truly worried about it you should ask them to reassure you in writing.
harestonesdown
1067 posts

Mar 03, 2013, 18:18
Sanctuary wrote:

Pleased we're all contributing to interesting threads lately though without falling out.

You want some ? ;)
harestonesdown
1067 posts

Mar 03, 2013, 18:24
nigelswift wrote:
I'm serious, if you are truly worried about it you should ask them to reassure you in writing.

Or ask one of them to sit inside whilst i jump up and down on it. :)
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: Trethevy Quoit in danger/Nigel
Mar 05, 2013, 13:58
Nigel, you asked the other day if I had any photos proving movement at Trethevy. Have a look at this and form your own opinion.

The first pic is a plan of the quoit by Barnatt in 1982. Look at stone four which has a large gap between it and the stone next to it. Now look at the second pic and see how the capstone has drawn it forward until leaning against that same stone. Stone 4 is the one on the right taken from inside the tomb. I'll leave it to you to decide.

https://picasaweb.google.com/100525707086862773355/TrethevyMisplacedStone?authkey=Gv1sRgCM6zhta3xbPxGA#
nigelswift
8112 posts

Mar 05, 2013, 14:23
Sanctuary wrote:
Nigel, you asked the other day if I had any photos proving movement at Trethevy. Have a look at this and form your own opinion.

The first pic is a plan of the quoit by Barnatt in 1982. Look at stone four which has a large gap between it and the stone next to it. Now look at the second pic and see how the capstone has drawn it forward until leaning against that same stone. Stone 4 is the one on the right taken from inside the tomb. I'll leave it to you to decide.

https://picasaweb.google.com/100525707086862773355/TrethevyMisplacedStone?authkey=Gv1sRgCM6zhta3xbPxGA#

Nah, it hasn't moved at all.
;)

Seriously, although I can't really work out what's what, if you say you have definite evidence it's moving I obviously accept you're right. So it does come down to the fact an engineer needs to give some written assurances about the implications.
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Mar 05, 2013, 14:32
Sanctuary wrote:

Try seeing if Mr Barnatt himself still comes down Cornwall at all, he'd be able to confirm it's movement, as his plan is the best and he's still living and working [sheffield uni], it's worth a thought, if not e-mail your pictures to him and he may be able to tell [not for definite though] from those, his book on the cornish monuments is still the best there is even though it's years old now, and after making those plans he must know the places inside out.
harestonesdown
1067 posts

Mar 05, 2013, 15:02
bladup wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:

Try seeing if Mr Barnatt himself still comes down Cornwall at all, he'd be able to confirm it's movement, as his plan is the best and he's still living and working [sheffield uni], it's worth a thought, if not e-mail your pictures to him and he may be able to tell [not for definite though] from those, his book on the cornish monuments is still the best there is even though it's years old now, and after making those plans he must know the places inside out.

From Wiki - "In 2012, Parker Pearson left the University of Sheffield and began teaching at the Institute of Archaeology, University College London, as Professor of British Later Prehistory."

He's closer than you thought ! :)
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Mar 05, 2013, 15:04
nigelswift wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:

Nah, it hasn't moved at all.
;)

Seriously, although I can't really work out what's what, if you say you have definite evidence it's moving I obviously accept you're right. So it does come down to the fact an engineer needs to give some written assurances about the implications.

My evidence is that it has moved Nigel, everyone can see that, it is the still moving bit that takes time to evaluate unless there is a sudden and noticable movement, in which case run for cover! Movement will be continual but very gradual. The 'weak' spot is the cut-out door area, either to its base or at the height of the door. This cut-out removes 1'-9" off the width of the Closure Stone and is under immense pressure. Because there is now no support for the capstone at the front end from the side flankers because they no longer reach the underside of the capstone it has gone beyond its point of balance and favours forward movement where originally its weight was evenly distributed.
Pages: 44 – [ Previous | 111 12 13 14 15 16 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index