Sanctuary
4670 posts

Edited Feb 27, 2013, 20:51
Re: Trethevy Quoit in danger
Feb 27, 2013, 20:38
bladup wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
thesweetcheat wrote:
It's a shame it's got worse since EH visited, but well done to you for getting them to take some action.

It would be terrible if it collapsed, although obviously you don't want to end up with either a Notgrove lump or a permanent fence immediately around the chamber (in my opinion).

I can't say too much more Alken due to the situation, but I know that the landowner is legally obliged to erect a 'fence' around the monument when stock is in the field no less that 6ft away from the bank. Clearly this has not been done. This is Cornwall's last surviving complete cromlech and it must be protected because it will fall one day if not cared for much more. If a sympathetic fence was erected around it at a reasonable distance away then so be it. I'd much prefer to see it standing there proudly then lying on the ground like a jigsaw puzzle waiting to be put back together!!

Don't you go dissing Chun : > }

No I shouldn't you're right but it's not in the same league is it and not a portal which I should have made clear!! :-)
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6200 posts

Feb 27, 2013, 20:52
Yeah, I agree - as long as a "reasonable distance" is just that!

I've still never been to Trethevy, so can't comment really, but I think Cornwall's pretty lucky to have its other quoits in their lovely settings too. I've been at Mulfra for hours and never seen anyone, and Zennor and Chun to a lesser extent.
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Feb 27, 2013, 21:00
Sanctuary wrote:
bladup wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
thesweetcheat wrote:
It's a shame it's got worse since EH visited, but well done to you for getting them to take some action.

It would be terrible if it collapsed, although obviously you don't want to end up with either a Notgrove lump or a permanent fence immediately around the chamber (in my opinion).

I can't say too much more Alken due to the situation, but I know that the landowner is legally obliged to erect a 'fence' around the monument when stock is in the field no less that 6ft away from the bank. Clearly this has not been done. This is Cornwall's last surviving complete cromlech and it must be protected because it will fall one day if not cared for much more. If a sympathetic fence was erected around it at a reasonable distance away then so be it. I'd much prefer to see it standing there proudly then lying on the ground like a jigsaw puzzle waiting to be put back together!!

No I shouldn't you're right but it's not in the same league is it and not a portal which I should have made clear!! :-)

It's not all about size Roy ! D } And Chun has 2 little portal stones, one's up and one's down, so therefore it is a little portal tomb.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Feb 27, 2013, 21:07
thesweetcheat wrote:
Yeah, I agree - as long as a "reasonable distance" is just that!

I've still never been to Trethevy, so can't comment really, but I think Cornwall's pretty lucky to have its other quoits in their lovely settings too. I've been at Mulfra for hours and never seen anyone, and Zennor and Chun to a lesser extent.

I like Mulfra it's a little gem isn't it and likewise have never seen anyone else whilst there. I have some fieldnotes I haven't put up yet from last September. Trethevy isn't really in a lovely setting because of the closeness of the houses but still pretty quiet nevertheless. It would have looked fantastic a couple of hundred years ago looking at it from the east sat on it's little raised hilltop without the houses blocking the view.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Feb 27, 2013, 21:11
bladup wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
bladup wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
thesweetcheat wrote:

It's not all about size Roy ! D } And Chun has 2 little portal stones, one's up and one's down, so therefore it is a little portal tomb.

I'm glad you mentioned that Paul because I discovered something about Trethevy along the same lines which you can read about in a couple of weeks :-
Don't start about size again cos Mustard will go on about being between a rock and a hard place :-)
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Feb 27, 2013, 21:14
I will Look forward to it:D}=
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Feb 27, 2013, 21:18
bladup wrote:

But you don't buy books you said :-)

I had a quick chat with Dave Cane a few nights back when he rung to chat about the damage there. He's doing a book as well he was saying a while back. Must be something in the water!
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Edited Feb 27, 2013, 21:40
Feb 27, 2013, 21:39
Sanctuary wrote:
bladup wrote:

I had a quick chat with Dave Cane a few nights back when he rung to chat about the damage there. He's doing a book as well he was saying a while back. Must be something in the water!

I said i don't read books, i've got boxes full because i like the pictures, In Lincoln i used to live near 3 second hand bookshops and countless charity shops so i picked up 1 or 2 over the years, i'm more interested in that build your own model of the place you're bringing out, you can learn it all from that : O }=
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Feb 27, 2013, 22:17
bladup wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
bladup wrote:

I said i don't read books, i've got boxes full because i like the pictures, In Lincoln i used to live near 3 second hand bookshops and countless charity shops so i picked up 1 or 2 over the years, i'm more interested in that build your own model of the place you're bringing out, you can learn it all from that : O }=

LOL. Well there's plenty of pictures that's true and only 52 pages as it's more of a booklet really like EH's Prehistoric Monuments of Avebury or Herring's Bodmin Moor book, but get's straight to the point and stays on it, not waffle on about other slightly related things that could have padded it out to 300 pages :-)
There's a surprise in it as well......
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Feb 27, 2013, 22:30
You could do one every few months of different places, a mag telling all we know of the place and a little build your own model of it as well, what with reading about it and actually building it, you'd teach people loads about the places, I'd love them all over my shelves.
Pages: 44 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index