Sanctuary wrote:
bladup wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
harestonesdown wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
harestonesdown wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
nigelswift wrote:
I'm very used to being called narrow minded, negative and a block to progress by detectorists for my opposition to their right to take stuff for themselves and the Head of PAS says my problem is I "won't get on the train to Liaisonville". Too right I won't.

It's all water off a duck's back!

Would it, I wonder, be more 'acceptable' Nigel as an 'Introduction to Avebury' from the east via the Sanctuary to recreate what we believe to be the original timber posts circles to the said Sanctuary? Archaeos have always pondered and even speculated over the first post or hut circle being roofed. That would look quite special I would have thought and although 'new' would almost certainly have had its own timbers replaced during its time. It would take the complex back to its believed beginnings and look brilliant and very educational. The further stages could be displayed on info boards but would be even better if displayed in the hut itself...all 15ft diameter of it, although the second stage being 35ft in diameter and also speculated as being roofed because of intervening 'thin' posts would be even better.
What do folk think of that as an alternative option?

Drawing extra visitors to The Sanctuary would be very dangerous imo.

Of course it would if not well thought about, planned and catered for before hand. That applies to everything.

Well there's the stumbling block. ! There would have to be "improvements" to the A4 before this could go anywhere, and that's not gonna happen.

We should have named this thread 'Stumbling Blocks' :-)

When society as we know it crumbles down around us and we have to build it back up again, this is when everything will change and we'll then go back to all the ancient places, not as relics but as living breathing centers of a humanity living in/with nature not against it, the future is ours, we just have to wait [dunno were that all came from???].

From the heart by the sound of it Paul.

See i do have one!!!

As long as it's not made of stone you may be re-surrected one day :-)
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index