Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Re: Alexander Keiller's Avebury/The Sanctuary
Jan 25, 2013, 14:56
Littlestone wrote:
tiompan wrote:
Someone opposed to , a motorway through an SSSI or the development of housing in or around a major megalthic monument , and doing something about it could be seen as being positively obstructionist , particularly if you agreed . If not then negative , narrow minded , bigoted , miserable , holding back the economy for the sake of a few butterflies ,stone hugging .....etc . It's perspective and who gets to use the positively emotive language . Ministry of Defence or War , same thing but one it's usually the former .

Using the words ‘positive’ or ‘negative’ is therefore meaningless to qualify an ‘obstructionist’ position (as it depends on your point of view). That's why I prefer the term ‘narrow minded’ – it’s much more precise :-)

I think both , and a lot more , are a waste of time , unhelpful and ultimately meaningless , in a discussion . Opponents simply call the other side negative and narrow minded , it's no more helpful than saying your'e wrong without explaining why . Narrow minded just means "you don't agree with me " .If there was a referendum on shooting the unemployed the nay sayers would be described as negative and narrow minded by those in favour , with possible but less successful "old fashioned " & " incapable of thinking out of the box " slung in for good measure .
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index