761 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
harestonesdown
1067 posts

Re: Alexander Keiller's Avebury/The Sanctuary
Jan 24, 2013, 22:49
bladup wrote:
harestonesdown wrote:
Here's another for you Paul. It's a quicky so no blurring to the bases or anything, there's even a bit of a nine stones close stone in there lol.

http://i46.tinypic.com/2ins4m.jpg

I love it, it looks so right, The way it fits into the background scenery is amazing, it looks so much better than posts, Having the stones from the wall and a few new ones isn't that different to the Devil's Quoit, you've done a really great job there, do you still think they should just have horrible concrete posts? [they mirror the times nicely though], Like someone else said they somehow work at woodhenge but i do always feel the posts at the sanctuary maybe even take away something of the site, it's a special spot often overlooked because of the better visual sites, this would truely bring it back, driving down the A4 you'd have silbury, a newly done out west Kennett, then a newly done sanctury, then just off the Devil's den with a good parking for people and make people more welcome at merlins mount, and take the swinden road out of avebury completely, your pictures got me exicited look % }

Personally i'd leave the concrete markers, yeah they are horrible but even using the wall stones you wouldn't have the "true" Sanctuary or anything approaching it, i'd just be a sham imo. Sadly it's gone, and we just have to live with that i'm afraid.

Now those buried stones, that's a different matter. !
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index