tiompan wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
harestonesdown wrote:
tiompan wrote:
harestonesdown wrote:
VBB wrote:
Mustard wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
Just sort of moving on a bit, assuming that the Sanctuary is now pretty well dug to extinction with little or anything more to gain from it, would you like to see it re-instated with new stones to give it a similar look to that of Aubreys days to make it more visually satisfying?

Based on the above assumption, then yes.

Big assumption there, it isn't dug to extinction, but to play the game anyway:

Removal of concrete pods - yes, a hologram that appears from my watch phone that reveals what it might have been like - yes, a handful of tma-ers wanting to fake prehistory - no!

Piggott called Keiller's Avebury 'megalithic gardening, Ruskin stated that restoration was 'a Lie from beginning to end.' I'm with them!

Nope, leave the sanctuary as it is, unless proof can be found that those wall stones definitely came from there, then i'd have no objection to them being reinstated, but "new" stones for a reconstruction ? Not for me thanks. :)

Not only are there no orginal stones but the stone sockets of the original stones , and some post holes were damaged by the surrounding pits for stone removal . And in the case of ring C there isn't even an extant section drawing .

The Orchard farm wall stones are thought to be originals from the Sanctuary.

Have you ever noticed that in Stukeley's 1723 drawing of the Sanctuary how Rollrightesque the stones look in type, spacing and apparent size? They are 'craggy' like and nothing like the stones in the WKA for example. I've never heard anyone mention that before.

And yet Stukeley drawings of "Rowldrich " or " Rholdrwyg " are not like the "craggy " stones of the Sanctuary .They appear mostly relatively "smooth " considering .

Didn't LS suggest a few weeks back that drawings were not always done by the 'main man' as they often had an on-site artist assisting them? I wonder if that could explain it?
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index