Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Re: Alexander Keiller's Avebury/The Sanctuary
Jan 24, 2013, 16:22
Sanctuary wrote:
marmite wrote:
ocifant wrote:
But the concrete posts aren't trying to be fakes stones, they're merely markers of where the stones used to be.

Fake stones would be a pretense, surely?

I never said that the concrete posts were trying to be fake stones..but I think personally in this instant I would prefer to see the "fake" pretense stones than concrete posts..but each to there own ;)

If in the distant past stones got damaged during their 'useful' lifetime, I wonder if when they were replaced they were then considered fake or simply 'replacements'? Unless each stone was selected because of its shape/colour/size/whatever then it was just a stone and would mean the same then as it would now, just newer...although still over a million years old!

Big questions there and raises ideas to do with each stone possibly as an individual entity, and whether the stones made the circle or the circle made the stones, if you will.
If an individual stone was representing a person or was imbued with special significance of any description, hard to think what the attitude would have been to a damaged or broken stone, in terms of replacing.
I reckon we could go on imagining attitudes about that sort of significance for years!

On the other hand if they were purely 'dumb' markers themselves or the slope on the top of one pointed to something in the sky, for example, then replacing would have only been an exercise in getting a similar one in! More simply a pain in the arse than some sort of personal or cultural tradegy.

These are the types of Qs that split opinion too, but nobody can say with any degree of certainty.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index