Edited Jan 24, 2013, 13:52
Re: Alexander Keiller's Avebury/The Sanctuary
Jan 24, 2013, 13:51
Sanctuary wrote:
bladup wrote:
nigelswift wrote:
Now we're getting to thew nitty gritty.
"Ruskin stated that restoration was 'a Lie from beginning to end'"

BUT all but dry purists are grateful to Keiller for his big lies.... BUT he did enough. It's the second best WHS on the planet, it impresses, it gives at least an approximation of it's true self. More lies (with the risk of mistakes, loss of info and future regrets) are simply not needed. "Avebury Complete" would not be a better Avebury yet it WOULD be a bigger lie.

I really don't mean anything horrible by this but do you think it's relevant that the couple of people who wouldn't touch it are mainly [sorry for this] the older ones, I really feel that the younger ones of the future will think differently, the opposite in fact - i think they'll think "why didn't they do anything at all, were they not interested in the place?", the leaving it for them will be lost on them because you sometimes have to make little mistakes to learn more, if you don't try at all you'll learn nothing more anyway, that's where we are now [learning nothing new about the place at all.].

Oi! I'm an oldy you whipersnapper!! :-) And the future begins tomorrow so it's not that far away after all!!

Yeah i did say mainly, but your so young at heart Roy, it's inside that matters, i've never known anyone your age and so free of bitterness, your like a ray of sunshine Mr, i think the youth of the future will think just like you do on the matter.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index