761 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Mustard
1043 posts

Re: Alexander Keiller's Avebury
Jan 22, 2013, 16:40
Rhiannon wrote:
"it's only medieval archaeology that's at risk."
You keep saying this. But I keep saying - we can't know that for sure.

What I ACTUALLY said was "IF I UNDERSTAND CORRECTLY, it's only medieval archaeology that's at risk."

Those stones, they're (we presume) pretty much where they stood. So there'll be information in the original socket holes. In the layers of soil that were disturbed in prehistoric times. In the soil around the bottom of the stones. I don't know, undisturbed in the base of the stones themselves maybe. Possibly, no one right now knows.

But they might in the future. So it's best not to reerect all of them. In case. You see.

That's a lot of possibly and maybe, and on that basis, we'd never do anything ever. Risk vs. reward.

What I think we can say for certain is that nobody on this forum seems to have a firm grasp of whether any early archaeology is likely to be under threat from re-erection, so unless one of us can provide some firm evidence either way, then this is a pointless discussion. All we can do is argue on the basis of "ifs" and "maybes".

The bottom line for me is that I'd like to see the stones re-erected over a reasonable course of time *if* we can be reasonably certain that no important pre-historic archaeology will be destroyed in the process.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index