4670 posts

Re: Re; Avebury
Jan 21, 2013, 14:31
VBB wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
VBB wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
moss wrote:
Well we all know that Avebury has come second best in Which by now, so this news is old news. But you can't beat the Daily Mail for giving you bright photos of how we triumphed ;)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2265688/Aveburys-stone-monument-named-worlds-second-best-heritage-site--beating-Taj-Mahal-ancient-Pyramids.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

'Nice' to see Stonehenge take a distant back seat as well :-)

Makes you wonder why a handful of tma-ers want to change that rating to see it come nowhere!

What by reinstating what was meant to be there if you are referring to Avebury VBB or have I misunderstood?

I was referring to Avebury, which aside from a few interpretation quibbles, a sprinkling of planning disasters, a quite awful fast food joint and unbelievably huge notice boards on leaving the car park, for the most part is right up there deserving a 2nd place ranking as a heritage site. Hence, I don't understand why anyone wants to do anything to change the site beyond preserving what we can.

I don't really see how re-instating all the fallen and buried stones is going to alter Avebury's number two status other than elevate it to number one!
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index