Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: Alexander Keiller's Avebury
Jan 21, 2013, 10:35
Harryshill wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
Harryshill wrote:
Avebury to me is like no other prehistorical monument. It encompasses nearly all English history, Viking marauders on the Ridge-way, Roman Villas, Saxons, Norman Lords, French Monks, Royalty, The Civil War, Reformists, and much, much more.

When I visit Avebury (And I only have a very few times) I drink tea in the Tea Rooms, have a beer and a meal in the Red Lion, Have a look in the Shops and wander around the Church. Have a look at the Manor House and investigate the Dove Cot. If I take pictures I will team up the stones with the Church or Chapel and maybe the Pub. Obviously I don't do this all in one visit or every time but, the Village is as important to me as the Stones, Bank and Ditch. For me it's that kind of place. Unique history!! I believe the Monument and Village and it's history are 'bound' together.

Do I feel that digging up the stones that were buried so long a go will improve, help or aid that experience - No I don't. Do I believe that raising the Stones will help protect them - No I don't. Am I happy maintaining the Status Que - Yes I am.

Still I have no factual reasons for leaving them where they are, but thats how it is.

I think this sort of ties in with what I said earlier. If the monument was still 'alive' and in everyday use then a stone would be re-erected soon after it fell. Likewise if there was a major fire/explosion that wrecked one of your watering holes in the village you would probably want that re-built as well because you were used to seeing/using it. Would that be fair to say?

But thats not what or how it happened. It's what we have now that I base my thoughts on. Should we rebuild Corfu Castle and all the Abbeys destroyed in the Reformation or should we accept them for what they are.

The point I was trying to make (badly) is that you are much more likely to approve of a stone being re-erected if you had lived with it in place prior to its fall just as you would like the burnt-out watering hole rebuilt if you used that regularly. It may be the fact that because the stones have always been missing on your visits that you see no relevence to them being brought back to life! Something like that anyway :-)
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index