Silbury Hill trespassers

Pages: 30 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Re: Silbury Hill trespassers
Jan 07, 2013, 17:57
bladup wrote:
It's a bit cheeky but i think i've got it - stick Nigel there and job done, it would keep me away.

I'd like to see a youtube video, 'Bladup & Nigels day out at Avebury'.

Could happen if you attend the "megameet", I guess!
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6200 posts

Re: Silbury Hill money-making tourist attraction
Jan 07, 2013, 17:57
That's the entrepreneur spirit that made this country great.

To be fair, they have a really good book selection in there, as well as the more "esoteric" stuff. I think I should learn to knap flint though, I'd never have to work again.
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Re: Silbury Hill money-making tourist attraction
Jan 07, 2013, 17:59
thesweetcheat wrote:
That's the entrepreneur spirit that made this country great.

To be fair, they have a really good book selection in there, as well as the more "esoteric" stuff. I think I should learn to knap flint though, I'd never have to work again.

Aye, i'm only teasing really, they do have a decent selection of books, and I always love going in there for a mooch about anyway.
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Jan 07, 2013, 18:04
What a great place for a game of hide and seek [or hide and hide].
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jan 07, 2013, 19:01
bladup wrote:
It's a bit cheeky but i think i've got it - stick Nigel there and job done, it would keep me away.

That'll teach me to give a damn about people thinking it's their right to cause damage.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6200 posts

Jan 07, 2013, 19:06
I assume the stripe up the hill seen on this recent visit (15 December) is part of the damage? Or is there further scarring as well?

The view is from "round the back" (Avebury).

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/post/114853/silbury_hill.html
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jan 07, 2013, 19:10
Yes, there'll be an even more striking image of it on the Journal tomorrow morning.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: Silbury Hill...what's that?
Jan 07, 2013, 19:47
I'm no different to most people I wouldn't have thought, but it amazes me how many people I meet who have never heard of Avebury let alone Silbury Hill. I wonder why that is?
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Jan 07, 2013, 22:32
Littlestone wrote:

I give my full support to Jim Leary's polite request to people not to climb up Silbury, at any time, least of all while the ground is so sodden. The flooding around Avebury is really quite scary, I have never seen anything like it - even 2007 wasn't anything like this year. Why anyone would want to wade through quite deep water to climb up Silbury is beyond me.
ryaner
ryaner
679 posts

Re: Silbury Hill...what's that?
Jan 07, 2013, 22:45
Sanctuary wrote:
I'm no different to most people I wouldn't have thought, but it amazes me how many people I meet who have never heard of Avebury let alone Silbury Hill. I wonder why that is?

Because contrary to our passionate interest, most people couldn't give a rats, even when this stuff is explained to them – N.F.I. in common parlance. That's been my experience anyway.
Pages: 30 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index