Silbury Hill trespassers

Pages: 30 – [ Previous | 124 25 26 27 28 29 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
harestonesdown
1067 posts

Re: Silbury Hill trespassers
Jan 11, 2013, 20:42
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
Hmmm. An unfailingly intense and contentious topic on TMA. Whilst I don't doubt it's worthwhile posting a link to the story, I think we all know only too well how threads about climbing Silbury tend to go here.
'Famous', in fact, for it's ability to bring mayhem to this community, i'd say.

The forum has been good lately, it would be a shame for this to turn into one of 'those' threads.

Some of us think climbing Silbury is ok and will continue to do it, others don't. We never seem to get any further than that, whether Jim Leary says its causing damage or not!

Absolutely, this is nothing more than another agm for the pointless thread society.
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Jan 11, 2013, 20:49
Yeah, tongues were firmly in cheeks.
harestonesdown
1067 posts

Jan 11, 2013, 20:49
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
thesweetcheat wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
I also agree with what you (half jokingly perhaps) referred to regarding psychology.
Just as an exmaple, imagine several signs, one after the other. Friendly, welcoming, but each urging (some might say begging) people not to climb the monument. Something like that would make the guillt of ignoring those pleas quite large in most peoples minds.

Its fairly easy to get people to do/think what you want, you just have to know the tricks I guess.

I agree with this, as I said earlier the majority of people will follow "the rules" whatever they might be.

Perhaps the messages could get stronger on progressive signs placed on the slopes:

"If you wouldn't mind, please please don't climb the hill, awfully kind of you"

"Please don't climb any further"

"Stop climbing now!"

"Climbing further will result in certain death"

"Death imminent"

"Goodbye (we told you)"

haha, then a final one 'look out!' and gunfire and rocket noises triggered by touch sensitive pads on the top!

What about something like :

"We know you might like to climb this hill. We often feel the same. It is a magnificent, beautiful structure and its presence here, even after 4000 years, is still breathtaking. We are so lucky just to still be able to come to this place to look at this hill and dream. We all do it. The people that love and care for our prehistoric heritage come here from all walks of life and from all parts of this country and the world.

Some, no doubt well meaning, old archaeological investigations have compromised the integrity of this hill. At one point it was in a very real danger of collapsing. It is still in a very fragile state.
Some people, in trying to feel as close a bond as possible perhaps to our ancestors and to our past, like to climb the hill. Many do not realise the damage that is done by what amounts to thousands of people walking on the hill over many years. We also know that most of those people would be horrified if they realised the damage they were inadvertently causing to such a precious monument.

We know you might like to climb this hill. We would too.

But please don't.

We want it to still be here in another 4000 years for others to marvel at as you do, and when you leave this place today we would like you to feel you have played your part in its survival.

Thank you and please enjoy your time here."

You do know how many different nationalities visit Silbury ?
You'd need a board so big it'd block the view of the hill. ; )
harestonesdown
1067 posts

Jan 11, 2013, 21:07
nigelswift wrote:
I think a perimeter path further back would create the same sense of alienation from the monument as people feel at Stonehenge. One within touching distance would satisfy a need to be involved with it I'd have thought. To the extent there might even be no need for a fence. Wouldn't that be a revelation!

And no fence no tat. Awe all know just how much tat would be hung.
Harryshill
510 posts

Jan 11, 2013, 21:10
All a bit pointless and negative isn't it.

The comments I mean.
Harryshill
510 posts

Jan 11, 2013, 21:10
All a bit pointless and negative isn't it.

The comments I mean.
harestonesdown
1067 posts

Jan 11, 2013, 21:16
Mustard wrote:
Littlestone wrote:
a viewing platform on Silbury, would really mess with the aesthetics of Silbury when seen from a distance, at different times and in different lights.

It's all a matter of perspective though. Not many people feel that a gurt big stone tower on top of Glastonbury Tor interferes with the aesthetics of the site. I think our sense of the aesthetic is largely based on what we're used to and our expectations. I love the mish-mash of Avebury, but I imagine I'd react with horror to the idea of a pub, paths, roads, houses if they weren't already there.

Pssssssssssssssstt, no-one remind him about Knowlton. ;)
harestonesdown
1067 posts

Re: tma discusses Silbury rationally?
Jan 11, 2013, 21:28
nigelswift wrote:
Well this isn't like the cover-up of the fact there was never a Moon landing, if you email EH and ask them if it has moved they'll tell you.

I've just looked through pictures taken each June for the last 6 years and i can't see any "slump".
harestonesdown
1067 posts

Re: tma discusses Silbury rationally?
Jan 11, 2013, 21:32
Steve M wrote:
Hi! Coming on very well, thanks. Taken far longer than I ever imagined it would but getting close to finishing at last.

I blame the secret wine.
VBB
558 posts

Jan 12, 2013, 07:30
harestonesdown wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
Hmmm. An unfailingly intense and contentious topic on TMA. Whilst I don't doubt it's worthwhile posting a link to the story, I think we all know only too well how threads about climbing Silbury tend to go here.
'Famous', in fact, for it's ability to bring mayhem to this community, i'd say.

The forum has been good lately, it would be a shame for this to turn into one of 'those' threads.

Some of us think climbing Silbury is ok and will continue to do it, others don't. We never seem to get any further than that, whether Jim Leary says its causing damage or not!

Absolutely, this is nothing more than another agm for the pointless thread society.

Well I think the astonishing length of this spat free thread says otherwise, as does the unified acceptance that there is an issue with damage caused by climbing, and that that is something that can only be minimised as it is impossible to prevent 100%. What that means is that people that have climbed Silbury or are about to can be brought to recognise that there is a problem, and something needs to be done to protect the monument and get folk to act responsibly. I think many people will think again once they have the message for sure. That is all that can and should be done.
Pages: 30 – [ Previous | 124 25 26 27 28 29 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index