Castlerigg »
Castlerigg, a Barra grave, sunrise &

2 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Anew
36 posts

Re: Castlerigg, a Barra grave, sunrise &
Dec 15, 2012, 21:49
I believe the following Himba tribe hut, (Namibia), may have relevance here ~ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Namibie_Himba_0712a.jpg

Having searched flickr for more photos to establish a basis for comparison, i find a variety of styles of which the one in the above-linked photo is comparatively rare ; and a stand-out, (though maybe not singular), example . I find myself curious about two things :

First is the off-round shape painted in white, (a color of apparent symbolic importance in much of traditional Africa, though this tribe seems to prefer red), on the hut's wall . It seems to be both the shape of the hut's floor-plan, and a fairly good representation of the overall shape of the Barra grave, Castlerigg, and Long Meg's Daughters . Its presence seems to add an element of mysticism, and this is the only hut i've seen it on . Together these factors indicate to me that this particular style of hut may have a special purpose within their culture . One woman, (with a rather guarded expression), stands in the doorway, and another is visible within in the enlarged version . Their presence indicates that this was not a male-only domain ; and i imagine its use and importance might have involved pregnancy, childbirth or a rite of passage .

Secondly, there is a ramp of earth leading to the door-opening, which appears to be at a slight angle to it, recalling but inverting the enclosure within Castlerigg and the extra stone in the Barra grave .

I suggest that these British sites may draw upon a similar tradition passed down through the human diaspora, and intended to bring a similar, (but some sense inverted), magic to the dead .

Please see also the other photo of Himba dwellings from the Wikipedia page : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Himba_village.jpg
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index