Topic View: Flat | Threaded
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Re: Trespass on SSSI sites
Sep 02, 2012, 20:38
tjj wrote:
scubi63 wrote:
A nice barbed fence hidden within a good deep ring of natural thick prickly brambles and nettles will keep almost everybody off the hill.
Oh yes, and maybe a sniper hidden on Waden Hill to catch the rest ;o).

I know your post is tongue in cheek Scubi - barbed wire is nasty though. I had to negotiate electric fencing and barbed wire while out trespassing the other day - tricky. I went past Silbury today and had a good look from the top deck of the 49 bus; there is a clear and very defined path going up on the side visible from the Beckhampton Road. So, lots of people must go up there, and think its ok to do so if they stick to the trodden path. VBB's suggestion that the information boards explaining clearly why people shouldn't go up there seems to be the only realistic short term solution (in more than one language). It would be good if the information included details of why Silbury is a SSSI too.

It's a good answer to what do you do? I visit sites by negotiating electric and barbed wire fencing while having a sideline of picking up idiots litter while doing it, we sound like mad[wo]men, do we not?
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index