Pages: 38 – [ Previous | 131 32 33 34 35 36 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2553 posts

Re: Trespass on SSSI sites
Sep 07, 2012, 21:09
thesweetcheat wrote:
Mr H, your comments are entirely understandable and you're not the first to make them. We tried taking the stabilisers off for a while by removing the sticky thread you mention, but it didn't really work out (shame on us, frankly).

Keep on posting, I think this thread (in general terms) shows that the forum can be a good place for a discussion and to have our views challenged.

Yup!!!
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Sep 07, 2012, 21:12
bladup wrote:
thesweetcheat wrote:
goffik wrote:
sanctuary wrote:
keeping it more civil is a step in the right direction.

My thoughts precisely. A little less bullying and sockpuppetry would also go a long way.

G x

I have enjoyed this thread immensely (much of it I've read in the evening after the iniitial exchanges). There has been some heat but as VBB says, this mainly reflects the fact that contributors are passionate about this. As Evergreen Dazed said (I think, apologies if it was Mustard) people are clearly thinking about this stuff and after that much of it is shades of conscience.

But this last little bit has annoyed me. Twice now you've mentioned sockpuppetry Goff. I have seen no evidence of this whatsoever in this thread, and I'm afraid that comes across as stirring, at least to me. Care to elaborate on where you believe the sockpuppets to be?

Sorry to ask but what are sockpuppets in this sense?

And while i'm asking questions, does anybody know whats the [ chinese?? ] site you go to when you press on The Megalithic european at the bottom of the page? i can see that it's about the megalithic european though, i can just a imagine a chinese verison of us lot!!!
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Edited Sep 07, 2012, 21:14
Re: Sockpuppets
Sep 07, 2012, 21:13
thesweetcheat wrote:

Thanks, Paranoia i think.
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Sep 08, 2012, 16:13
harestonesdown wrote:
Thanks Tiompan and Littlestone, Though my issue wasn't related to anything you've said, Obviously, It's the throw away comment without reply that hit's a nerve. As if the locked message at the top of the forum isn't ominous enough when you join, where it clearly states "Any personal attacks, name-calling, unnecessarily aggressive comments, unfounded or unreasonable accusations, or general unnecessary vitriol will result in the poster's account being suspended." More that it's obviously been an issue for some time before i signed up, that is still ongoing.

I may be being over-sensitive but i guess others may feel the same when considering joining the forum, especially if they've "lurked" for several months as i did.

I too feel now that the comment was aimed at either you harestones or me and not even knowing exactly what 'sockpuppet' really meant, (I do now) I would appreciate an explanation regarding this from the poster of the accusation.
harestonesdown
1067 posts

Sep 08, 2012, 17:52
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
harestonesdown wrote:
Thanks Tiompan and Littlestone, Though my issue wasn't related to anything you've said, Obviously, It's the throw away comment without reply that hit's a nerve. As if the locked message at the top of the forum isn't ominous enough when you join, where it clearly states "Any personal attacks, name-calling, unnecessarily aggressive comments, unfounded or unreasonable accusations, or general unnecessary vitriol will result in the poster's account being suspended." More that it's obviously been an issue for some time before i signed up, that is still ongoing.

I may be being over-sensitive but i guess others may feel the same when considering joining the forum, especially if they've "lurked" for several months as i did.

I too feel now that the comment was aimed at either you harestones or me and not even knowing exactly what 'sockpuppet' really meant, (I do now) I would appreciate an explanation regarding this from the poster of the accusation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hit-and-run_posting
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6209 posts

OT: FAO Goffik - sockpuppets
Sep 08, 2012, 18:08
thesweetcheat wrote:
Twice now you've mentioned sockpuppetry Goff. I have seen no evidence of this whatsoever in this thread, and I'm afraid that comes across as stirring, at least to me. Care to elaborate on where you believe the sockpuppets to be?

It seems that the two most recent contributors to this site now feel that the "sockpuppet" comment you made was aimed at them.

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/forum/?thread=66470&message=842611

As I asked yesterday, would you care to elaborate or clarify your meaning?
The Eternal
924 posts

Sep 08, 2012, 23:35
VBB,

I think I side with Sanctuary on this.
On my visit to the top in the mid 90s, there was no erosion, as far as I could see, just a flattened grass path. However, there is now a huge increase in interest in prehistory, and that obviously places increased pressure on places like Silbury Hill.

The answer is, like Sanctuary said, to put in place a solid path, maybe made of local stone, in a spiral path, following the original grass path, to the top, in order to let people see for themselves. This would prevent any trouble with people doing illegal ascents, and let everyone be happy.

Silbury Hill has been kept secret from the general public for far too long. With the increase in interest, it's time the let the interest happen.

Cheers,
TE.
The Eternal
924 posts

Sep 08, 2012, 23:47
June,

Little did you know that when you started this thread, that it would be the one thread that resulted in so much wobbly tree sort of stuff.

Just open it and see how it goes from side to side like a big wavey thing. I've not seen owt like that before, me.

Brill,
TE. :)
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Edited Sep 09, 2012, 00:26
Sep 09, 2012, 00:22
The Eternal wrote:
VBB,

I think I side with Sanctuary on this.
On my visit to the top in the mid 90s, there was no erosion, as far as I could see, just a flattened grass path. However, there is now a huge increase in interest in prehistory, and that obviously places increased pressure on places like Silbury Hill.

The answer is, like Sanctuary said, to put in place a solid path, maybe made of local stone, in a spiral path, following the original grass path, to the top, in order to let people see for themselves. This would prevent any trouble with people doing illegal ascents, and let everyone be happy.

Silbury Hill has been kept secret from the general public for far too long. With the increase in interest, it's time the let the interest happen.

Cheers,
TE.

I agree with you and sanctuary as you said they can't fight the tide forever, but it seemed not a lot of other people do agree.
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Sep 09, 2012, 00:24
The Eternal wrote:
June,

Little did you know that when you started this thread, that it would be the one thread that resulted in so much wobbly tree sort of stuff.

Just open it and see how it goes from side to side like a big wavey thing. I've not seen owt like that before, me.

Brill,
TE. :)

It's when the arguing started the place got knocked all over a bit.....
Pages: 38 – [ Previous | 131 32 33 34 35 36 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index