Topic View: Flat | Threaded
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6210 posts

Re: Slightly OT: The Gop
Sep 03, 2012, 22:26
bladup wrote:
thesweetcheat wrote:
I've never climbed Silbury, nor do I have a burning desire to do so. But I have climbed onto the top of The Gop in North Wales, the largest artificial mound in Wales (I think). The Gop is a huge cairn, very badly damaged by antiquarian excavations into its top. But it's still huge. I imagine some people will view climbing this as being no different to Silbury, but I mention it by way of contrast (note the fieldnotes, etc).

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/136/gop.html

I've climbed them both and the main difference is Silbury is a lot higher but the gop has better views, what is the difference in your mind [ there's none in mine ] and would you climb silbury if there wasn't any signs telling you not to? i think climbing any barrow/tumuli/cairn or mound is pretty much the same! to me it's none of them at all or all of them, i don't get that people would some but not others! it's all quite interesting isn't it?

Yes, it is (interesting). The main reason I wouldn't climb Silbury is because there is the potential for erosion damage if enough people do, and its pretty certain that large numbers would if it was openly accessible. But also it has just never appealed to me, unlike climbing Waden Hill for example - I can't really explain why. Most cairns or barrows I visit are little visited and one or two people a year is going to have little or no impact. Upland cairns don't generally suffer from damage through occasional footfall (although obviously very busy routes will erode the sides of cairns they pass close to). They suffer damage from idiots re-arranging them for entirely pointless reasons.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6210 posts

Re: Trespass on SSSI sites
Sep 03, 2012, 22:31
Howburn Digger wrote:
Visiting your Heritage or whatever... don't let such thought deter you from wandering in seasrch of stones...

I agree and it generally doesn't (although it's no bad thing to know where you stand in the eyes of the law).

But it does detract from the enjoyment, to me anyway, if you feel like you're not "welcome". I prefer to go to open access areas where I can walk where I want without having to even think about it. I wish England and Wales would adopt Scotland's stance, but the English are far too insecure! And anyway Osborne will have sold all the remaining countryside to his mates soon, so it'll be pay-per-view (you'll be lucky) to go and see any English heritage sites that haven't been bulldozed.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Sep 03, 2012, 23:07
bladup wrote:

At one of the hoar stones in the cotswolds some toffs pointed there guns at us and told us we couldn't visit the stone, we told them to fuck off and carried on anyway, as i was walking i didn't know if they were going to shoot us, when we went back past them we told them to fuck off again, but his dad was freaking out on him for threatening us with the guns, my misses then tried running him over and we were gone, a visit that sticks in the mind, they won't stop me from getting where i need to go, as in if that didn't stop us, nothing would!

You were probably quite near, or maybe even on, Gatcombe Park (I think its royal). Was in the area a couple of years back to visit the Tinglestone Long Barrow. I think that really was a tricky trespass - we got away with it because preparations were taking place for some horsey event being held the next day. We slipped in feeling furtive and mingled with the contractors who were busy erecting marquees.
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Edited Sep 03, 2012, 23:26
Sep 03, 2012, 23:20
thesweetcheat wrote:
bladup wrote:
[quote="thesweetcheat"]I've never climbed Silbury, nor do I have a burning desire to do so. But I have climbed onto the top of The Gop in North Wales, the largest artificial mound in Wales (I think). The Gop is a huge cairn, very badly damaged by antiquarian excavations into its top. But it's still huge. I imagine some people will view climbing this as being no different to Silbury, but I mention it by way of contrast (note the fieldnotes, etc).

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/136/gop.html

I've climbed them both and the main difference is Silbury is a lot higher but the gop has better views, what is the difference in your mind [ there's none in mine ] and would you climb silbury if there wasn't any signs telling you not to? i think climbing any barrow/tumuli/cairn or mound is pretty much the same! to me it's none of them at all or all of them, i don't get that people would some but not others! it's all quite interesting isn't it?

That's what i find interesting, you said " The main reason I wouldn't climb silbury is because there is the potential for erosion damage if enough people do", but i know you know that that's the same for anywhere, even more so upland cairns that may have a path going straight though it, or any barrow that people climb on that's close to a path, it's your original point - that these places need protecting as much as silbury, but it's strange you would walk on these [Gop cairn and the like ] but not silbury!!!, i hope you understand what i'm on about as i found it hard to explain!
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Sep 03, 2012, 23:22
tjj wrote:
bladup wrote:

At one of the hoar stones in the cotswolds some toffs pointed there guns at us and told us we couldn't visit the stone, we told them to fuck off and carried on anyway, as i was walking i didn't know if they were going to shoot us, when we went back past them we told them to fuck off again, but his dad was freaking out on him for threatening us with the guns, my misses then tried running him over and we were gone, a visit that sticks in the mind, they won't stop me from getting where i need to go, as in if that didn't stop us, nothing would!

You were probably quite near, or maybe even on, Gatcombe Park (I think its royal). Was in the area a couple of years back to visit the Tinglestone Long Barrow. I think that really was a tricky trespass - we got away with it because preparations were taking place for some horsey event being held the next day. We slipped in feeling furtive and mingled with the contractors who were busy erecting marquees.

I saw princess anne when i visited the tinglestone, and i got a tingle from touching it, even though i had forgot what the place was called.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6210 posts

Sep 03, 2012, 23:42
Yes, I do. I can't necessarily rationalise it entirely and I know that different people have very different views on this.

Here goes. The obscure sites need protecting, but from irrepairable damage. Upland cairns are not damaged by people sitting on them or climbing on them, you have to make a big effort to move any stones (ask Lubin how difficult it is to restore one that's been messed about with). Similarly, most barrows in fields aren't damaged by occasional visitors walking over them. But they are damaged by constant livestock erosion and incremental ploughing. I think - to me- it comes down to what will actually cause damage. If loads of people start visiting a little barrow in the middle of nowhere, it may become at risk of damage from those visits - but most aren't in danger of that happening, so visiting, taking pictures, recording any existing damage (which might not be apparent from below, particularly where the damage is an excavation into the top) has value, which can be weighed against the possible damage (if any) caused by the act of visiting itself. But Silbury is definitely at risk, because lots of people would love to climb it if they thought they could do so legitimately - far more than climb it now clandestinely. So the risk of damage is very real and one person climbing it will be seen by others as an endorsement of a view that it's okay to do so. There are also lots of well-known sites that are finely balanced, examples being West Kennet, Wayland's Smithy, where it would be lot better if people kept off the mound as it is noticeable getting worn.

I know that really there's no difference on lots of levels with climbing another less-known barrow, but in truth the consequences are likely to be very different. Volume of visitors (and the precise behaviour of them) makes it different.

Obviously, if your objections are based on belief rather than damage, that makes for an entirely different view, i.e. you wouldn't climb on any barrow, even if you knew it would cause no damage, because you believe it is disrespectful - I don't share this view, I'll be honest. Dead is dead, as someone said. Everyone walks over multiple graves in any medieval churchyard, but I don't think it's disrespectful to do so.

That's the best I can do, this late on a schoolnight!
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Sep 04, 2012, 03:12
thesweetcheat wrote:
Yes, I do. I can't necessarily rationalise it entirely and I know that different people have very different views on this.

Here goes. The obscure sites need protecting, but from irrepairable damage. Upland cairns are not damaged by people sitting on them or climbing on them, you have to make a big effort to move any stones (ask Lubin how difficult it is to restore one that's been messed about with). Similarly, most barrows in fields aren't damaged by occasional visitors walking over them. But they are damaged by constant livestock erosion and incremental ploughing. I think - to me- it comes down to what will actually cause damage. If loads of people start visiting a little barrow in the middle of nowhere, it may become at risk of damage from those visits - but most aren't in danger of that happening, so visiting, taking pictures, recording any existing damage (which might not be apparent from below, particularly where the damage is an excavation into the top) has value, which can be weighed against the possible damage (if any) caused by the act of visiting itself. But Silbury is definitely at risk, because lots of people would love to climb it if they thought they could do so legitimately - far more than climb it now clandestinely. So the risk of damage is very real and one person climbing it will be seen by others as an endorsement of a view that it's okay to do so. There are also lots of well-known sites that are finely balanced, examples being West Kennet, Wayland's Smithy, where it would be lot better if people kept off the mound as it is noticeable getting worn.

I know that really there's no difference on lots of levels with climbing another less-known barrow, but in truth the consequences are likely to be very different. Volume of visitors (and the precise behaviour of them) makes it different.

Obviously, if your objections are based on belief rather than damage, that makes for an entirely different view, i.e. you wouldn't climb on any barrow, even if you knew it would cause no damage, because you believe it is disrespectful - I don't share this view, I'll be honest. Dead is dead, as someone said. Everyone walks over multiple graves in any medieval churchyard, but I don't think it's disrespectful to do so.

That's the best I can do, this late on a schoolnight!

I get it, Well put!! I'm not sure more people would go up silbury though, by the look of the various tracks lots of people go up anyway, like sanctuary said it may be better to control one path, and foreigners [ and british ] who can't read english just see the steps going over the fence and think they want you to go up, i just feel that everybody who wants to go up, goes up anyway, everything else you said i agree with 100%.
Rhiannon
5290 posts

Edited Sep 04, 2012, 07:43
feelings vs facts
Sep 04, 2012, 07:30
"i just feel that everybody who wants to go up, goes up anyway"

well you're wrong there Bladup. Because when I was a kid we stopped at Silbury and my dad and I would have probably climbed up it, but the notices were there even then and they stopped us, because we read them and went along with what they were saying. I only had the dimmest awareness of prehistoric things then (everything starting with the romans) - like most of the people that stop there, no doubt.

And there are many times since when I've thought 'ooh wouldn't it be nice to see what the landscape looks like from the top' but the overwhelming thing that stops me is that when I think about it, on balance, I've been asked by the people who look after the site and therefore (one hopes) have its best interests at heart - not to do so. It's not exactly 'sticking it to the man' but in this case the man is someone who loves prehistoric sites and wants to look after them.

I don't accept at all that if people want to climb it, they will. Because I don't and I'm sure many other people here come into the same category. I rather think that people who do, when they know they've been asked not to, to protect it, are putting their own gratification in front of the right of everyone else to enjoy it without it being spoilt. You might say, well Those Sort of people are going to climb it whatever you say. But some of them might think again if you educate them and make it clear why you're asking them not to walk up the hill.

To suggest because some people do, we might as well make it official and let everyone is absurd. Do you know how many visitors that place gets! Can you imagine the state of the hill if you let all those people walk up it? It's chalk grassland on the hill (SSSI as people have said) and as soon as you wear away the top layer of plants, you will start carving a massive hole into the earth, as you'll see if you look at sheep tracks on that kind of land. It would have huge wandering scars up it in no time, and every time it rained they'd get bigger. The alternative would be some kind of winding stairway. RIP Silbury.

I think Silbury's a special case and I just don't understand the mindset of someone who'll climb it, I think it's totally arrogant and smacks of doing something deliberately because they've been told not to. What is Silbury to them, why do they want to climb it? They can't simultaneously have all this neo-pagan respect for it and then add to damaging the very thing they profess to respect. It's bullshit I'm afraid.

Some people used to chip bits off stonehenge and you can call it hyperbole but I reckon it's not so different. We've stopped them doing that, even though there's lots of stone to go round and the damage wouldn't be that noticeable.
VBB
558 posts

Re: feelings vs facts
Sep 04, 2012, 08:16
Rhiannon wrote:
"i just feel that everybody who wants to go up, goes up anyway"

well you're wrong there Bladup. Because when I was a kid we stopped at Silbury and my dad and I would have probably climbed up it, but the notices were there even then and they stopped us, because we read them and went along with what they were saying. I only had the dimmest awareness of prehistoric things then (everything starting with the romans) - like most of the people that stop there, no doubt.

And there are many times since when I've thought 'ooh wouldn't it be nice to see what the landscape looks like from the top' but the overwhelming thing that stops me is that when I think about it, on balance, I've been asked by the people who look after the site and therefore (one hopes) have its best interests at heart - not to do so. It's not exactly 'sticking it to the man' but in this case the man is someone who loves prehistoric sites and wants to look after them.

I don't accept at all that if people want to climb it, they will. Because I don't and I'm sure many other people here come into the same category. I rather think that people who do, when they know they've been asked not to, to protect it, are putting their own gratification in front of the right of everyone else to enjoy it without it being spoilt. You might say, well Those Sort of people are going to climb it whatever you say. But some of them might think again if you educate them and make it clear why you're asking them not to walk up the hill.

To suggest because some people do, we might as well make it official and let everyone is absurd. Do you know how many visitors that place gets! Can you imagine the state of the hill if you let all those people walk up it? It's chalk grassland on the hill (SSSI as people have said) and as soon as you wear away the top layer of plants, you will start carving a massive hole into the earth, as you'll see if you look at sheep tracks on that kind of land. It would have huge wandering scars up it in no time, and every time it rained they'd get bigger. The alternative would be some kind of winding stairway. RIP Silbury.

I think Silbury's a special case and I just don't understand the mindset of someone who'll climb it, I think it's totally arrogant and smacks of doing something deliberately because they've been told not to. What is Silbury to them, why do they want to climb it? They can't simultaneously have all this neo-pagan respect for it and then add to damaging the very thing they profess to respect. It's bullshit I'm afraid.

Some people used to chip bits off stonehenge and you can call it hyperbole but I reckon it's not so different. We've stopped them doing that, even though there's lots of stone to go round and the damage wouldn't be that noticeable.

Thank you.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: feelings vs facts
Sep 04, 2012, 08:31
Gosh.
I think TSC and Rhiannon have combined to put up an unassailable case. If EH could take their various points and put them on notices in ten different languages the job would be 90% done. (AND my idea of prehistory being something to be respected would be demonstrated to every visitor).

I'd add a couple of points -

The main path at the front has been there for hundreds of years and some say therefore people should use it as it wont erode much. Trouble is Rhiannon's right I think, allowing people up would mean hundreds a day, Im sure so it would surely mean damage?

Do you remember the sheep a few years ago? I remember watching them taking short cuts and creating new paths in a hot dusty summer. They caused a lot of damage in no time at all.

If EH (and VBB) say there's delicate archaeology just under the surface then going up is saying either its not true. Youd need to prove it or admit that actually you don't care, which is a bit much.

I've never been up but Id be happy with a system like Stonehenge where you can have a conducted official visit by appointment, keeping to one route, if EH ran it. (And YES, Id have to pay, so ruddy what) so long as it looked like it was official and therefore casual visitors couldnt run up in their hundreds.

BTW, if you partied on top at the wrong time 12 years ago you'd have a let-down. The fill keeps settling, Id hate to be up there and cause a sudden slump!
Pages: 38 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index