49 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Howburn Digger
Howburn Digger
986 posts

Re: Too good to miss?
Feb 24, 2012, 18:16
Rhiannon wrote:

This is causing me much pause for thought this morning. It's a bit complicated isn't it.
And I was thinking, are books a slightly different case from music. Downloading music for free off the internet, that's dishonest obviously because the musicians who created it are getting nothing and you're getting the benefit. But you get the benefit so easily, you jsut have to listen.

I like this thread!

As a very p/time music blogger I have spent the last few years re-mastering work by an artist (now deceased) and posting it online on a blog. I only transcribe vinyl/ cassettes/ CDs which are not in circulation and which have no real chance of ever being heard again. The record companies ain't interested in re-releasing any of it and mostly have lost the master-tapes anyway. In some cases I actually supplied original CD singles (and in one case a 12" vinyl burn recorded onto an analogue CD recorder...) for official re-issues!
The response from other fans has been magnificent. Old unreleased studio recordings have been shared between us and rare early singles and B-sides meticulously transcribed from vinyl. Bootlegs stored in garages have been dug out. And what people who download such stuff from my wee site get is commercially unavailable, the masters lost and record company disinterested type material. Those strange three live tracks only ever released on the 10" b-side from 1985. They don't actually get the lovely piece of vinyl from my box but get an MP3 rip of it. Maybe it is a bizarre 12" mix only available as a rare Portuguese CD album extra twenty years back, but for fans it might be a wee gem! I don't sell it - it isn't mine to sell. I've posted copies to the artist's family and to fans around the world. They do get a benefit, they truly do! And I take down anything anyone objects to.

There is also lots of rips of stuff from a variety of bands I've played in over the years which is quite widely available on some blogger's sites and long may it continue! I saw a Youtube clip with one of our old drummers in it (he died nearly twenty years ago - nothing to do with Spinal Tap!). It wont change the world, but I'm glad someone kept the clip and posted it up for free...

I see music sharing as a very different thing from burning CD rips of Adele's "21" and selling them at a car boot in a poorly printed sleeve.

Recent e-books burned onto DVD and sold on e-bay? Bit of a whiff offa that one to me...

But me- I'm probably biased on this one.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index